Tuesday, March 13, 2012

We all Need to Dream

Minttu and Sara Roto discuss their dreams
In this morning's post I mentioned that I have been suffering recently with nightmares, but this morning I bumped into one of Somero's vicars, Saara Roto, and we talked about another type of dream altogether.

Saara was saying how important it was for everyone to have a dream of some kind. Even if the dream may not be immediately accessible, just having something to dream about can be a source of light and inspiration. I totally agree.

Of course when someone says something like this to me, I cannot resist finding out more. I asked Saara what she herself dreams of doing, and I got some fascinating answers!

Saara has several dreams that she plans to achieve at some point within her lifetime.

"I want to go travelling round South America," she said with a big smile on her face. "I'd like to find someone to travel with, take a rucksack and just go from one place to another without planning it in advance. The most important thing would be to climb the steps leading up to an Incan temple, but I need to find someone crazy enough to come with me first!"

"Then I want to visit Egypt. I want to go riding on an Arabian horse in the desert and of course visit the pyramids. I also want to run along the great Wall of China. I'm not fit enough to go the whole way, but even 500 metres would be enough. I just want to run there, and one day I definitely will."

Saara has a lot of experience riding horses and still rides occasionally, but her new hobby is climbing and she has already been out climbing this year. "My real ambition is to climb in Nepal" she says "I want to go walking in the mountains there."

After all these adventures Saara still has one dream remaining "Of course then there is one thing left after all that, I'd like to have a house, a husband and a couple of children, but we'll have to see if that one ever happens!"

Our new vicar will be coming to a wonderful town
In English there is an expression which says"You learn something new every day."  Today, apart from hearing about Saara's dreams I learned that Somero has four vicars, something I hadn't realised before. Saara's father, Matias Roto, is retiring as a vicar in the next few weeks, so there are currently interviews happening to find a replacement. Initially there was some concern that there would be very few applications, but apparently more than twenty vicars applied for the post. Maybe the news is starting to spread that Somero is a great place to be!

At around midday today we had a ten minute spell of sleet. I was horrified. But luckily the sun came out again soon after and I was able to take this shot of the melting river from the bridge near the Svensson building. The bird flew into the picture just at the right moment...perhaps as a sign of inspiration for the town's new vicar?

1 comment:

Katri said...

Dreams indeed can be very inspiring. Few years ago I was bullied because I wouldn't "grow up and stop being a baby", meaning that I wouldn't give up my dreams of living in a magical world of fairy tales. I still haven't. But because of those dreams I have been able to write many stories about those magical adventures I could have, and I believe that many authors have the same thing. Dreams mean imagination to me.