Thursday, March 8, 2012

Saappaat Savessa - Tell Your Somero Story!

Now it's your turn to write something!

Get writing!
Each day that I spend in Somero I learn a little more about the town and its people.  Of course nowhere in the world is perfect, but I know for sure that of all the places I have visited in my life, Somero is the place I have felt most at home and where I hope I can stay.

Both this blog and the Somero English Club have allowed me to meet many new people and hear their stories over the last few weeks, and it made me think that it would be great to put everyone's stories, thoughts and ideas together for a book to be published at Christmas 2012.

After a bit of brainstorming at the SEC, the title for the book is going to be "Saappaat Savessa - Postikortti Somerolta"  (Boots Stuck in the Clay - a Postcard from Somero). I know that in English this title doesn't work in the same way, but we all agreed that in Finnish, Saappaat Savessa is a great title, and I must thank Kari Kuosa who came up with the idea.

I have been to the printers and we have a timetable worked out for publication. Now it is over to you!

The book will be full of photos and stories about Somero. I am looking for all sorts of contributions. They can be just one sentence long, or you could write something longer, with a maximum of 400 words. There is no age limit at all. Please write in Finnish if you are able to, but if not, entries in English or French will be translated if chosen for publication.

You can write an opinion, a memory a story...whatever you like, as long as it is connected to Somero in some way, and the best will be published.  If you were born here, what memories do you have of the town? Why have you decided to stay?  Or if you have moved here from somewhere else...why? If you came back after a long time away...what made you decide to return to Somero? Or alternatively maybe you have just visited the town or have a summer cottage here. What do you think of the town?  What fun memories can you share with readers? What makes Somero special?

The deadline for entries is the end of June 2012. You can either put your entries into a box which will be at Somero library or you can send them direct to

saappaat.savessa@hotmail.com

Please include your name, contact details and age, as well as what connection you have to Somero (eg were you born here, have you moved here, do you have relatives here or did you come as a visitor).

At least a hundred entries will be published...so get writing!  Computers and blogs are a great tool for keeping in touch, but they will never take the place of a real book which you can hold in your hand and keep forever....so help me to make this a really special book which will show everyone what a special place Somero is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How is saappaat.savessa proceeding?
Markku