Monday, October 8, 2012

Wasn't Sure Whether to Tell This Story...

...but just before going to bed I had the feeling that I should tell it anyway. Just maybe it might serve to help someone else who has looged onto this page and is feeling as lost as I have felt today.

I have had the occasional comment in relation to this blog that it seems to be written from a Christian point of view. I have found that interesting, as I would not necessarily have described it that way myself. I hope very much that there is a God, and despite all arguments to the contrary, I admit I find it very difficult to believe that everything around us could simply have happened "by accident". There are so many intricate and well-designed aspects to nature (just take a look at a leaf, or a snowflake for example) that it seems impossible to me that it has all happened without some design.  Anyway, who am I to comment on such things, we all have our individual perspectives on such matters, and what any person does, or doesn't, believe has to be left to them.

The point is, that when I am in trouble, I pray.  And today I was in trouble. So I prayed. I couldn't even find the right words, so I just said "Please help me." And I said it around twenty times. 

And this is the part I wanted to share with you - because although it is very personal, I just have the feeling that someone out there needs to read this. Ten minutes after I asked for help, I arrived at our new home. Four days ago the children and I moved to a new home (still in Somero), where we didn't yet know anyone.  As I arrived and was going up the stairs to our flat, a woman in the same building stopped me. She wanted to know if I had dropped some money in the hallway. I thanked her for asking, but it wasn't my money so I told her it wasn't mine. Then, for no particular reason, she invited me inside, even though until that point she had been a complete stranger. 

She said that she could see that I was upset, that she was a strong believer in God and knew that he was going to help me. We chatted for just a couple of minutes and she told me a bit about herself. She was very kind, and said that she was sure I had been sent to live in this particular building for a reason. The conversation seemed so surreal that I didn't quite know what to say. Then, just before I left, she gave me a book and told me to take it with me and read it.  She assured me that I needed to. I haven't started it yet, so I can't tell you anything about the contents, but I have it with me now. In English it's called "The Shack" by William Paul Young, and the Finnish translation is called "Autiotalo". I believe it is based on a true story.

Even though I haven't read the book I still felt compelled this evening to share this story. It is not the first time that something like this has happened to me, and despite the fact that it may do nothing more than make most people laugh, I am certain that there is someone reading this to whom it will mean something. That's why I shared it. I am going to bed now and I plan to read this book as soon as I can as it seemed to arrive at just the moment I had asked for something. I wait with interest to see if this was it. I hope maybe this story might serve to inspire someone else too. If you're in need of help of some kind right now, it might justbe worth asking just to see what happens. You never know until you try.

Sleep well Somero and beyond. Your friend,  Jody.

6 comments:

Katri said...

I said few weeks ago that I refuse to believe that we are alone (and this time I'm talking about supernatural, not aliens), so to me it would make pretty much sense that there is at least some sort of god existing. But it would seem a bit lonely and unfair to think that there's only one. For me, The Moon is my goddess. But tonight I have had only one prayer:

"Please, give my friend peace. Please let him understand that there is at least one girl here who would like to be there for him."

I hope whichever god or goddess that might be watching us could give thee a peaceful rest tonight, dear friend.

Stephanie said...

Jody, you know I believe there are more options than just either the bible or the "accident". I believe nature in herself is divine and everything around us is filled with spirits, life and love.
The only difference between my belief and the christian is that I don't believe in a single "authority/male boss/father figure" and I don't believe we need to build expensive houses with strict rules and human priests to be blessed. We are blessed and divine, all of us, regardless of these constraints. And we are being taken care of. That's what I believe.

I'm happy for you that you found shelter in the form of your new neighbour who shares your beliefs.

Anonymous said...

The American writer Anne Lamott says that the two best prayers she knows are "help me, help me, help me", and "thank you, thank you, thank you".
I hope the book helps you (I know nothing about it, must look it), and I hope you're feeling better soon.

jodymerelle said...

Those two prayers are excellent. Four words which say everything there is to be said. Thanks for sharing this and for your kind wishes. Jody

Anonymous said...

somebody said: 'God's providence rises every day earlier than the sun'. No matter what...

Jeni said...

The Shack is an amazing book Jody. It is a tragic story but from out of the tragedy comes a beauty and life-changing experience for the protagonist. I have been reading your blog this evening in reverse beginning with your most recent post. I hope that things are looking up for you and the children. It seems that even in the most difficult of times you are being tended by angels. May God watch over you and bless you, Jeni xxx