Sunday, October 7, 2012

Don't Stop Dreaming

Some time ago I read about the idea of creating a dreamboard. The idea is to take a pile of magazines, and to cut out any pictures which appeal to you. The important thing is not to analyse what you are doing, but to simply choose the pictures which you like the most, without stopping to ask yourself why.
My own dreamboard
This is a way of letting your subconscious tell you what it really wants, likes or is dreaming about. Once you have all your pictures, you can then stick them in any way you wish on to a large piece of paper or card, and the end result will tell you something about your innermost wishes and dreams.

The last time I did this was some time ago and I was quite surprised at the end result, because the images were very far from the life I was living at the time. The board helped me make some big decisions about my future and also led to us eventually moving to Somero, which was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

An example of one of the other dreamboards
Today I created a new dreamboard together with four others. Once they were finished we spent time looking at each of them in turn and saying what we could see in each one. It proved to be a very interesting exercise, and every board was totally different from the next one. My own board sent me the clear message that I value family and writing and preserving my Finnish roots. At the moment my own family situation is not what I would wish for, but I still hope that one day I will find myself in a loving and stable family where we are all there for each other no matter what. I don't intend to give up that dream while I am still on the planet.  

Try creating a dreamboard yourself the next time you have a couple of hours to spare - it's not something that you can do when you are under a time pressure. You may be surprised by the results, but whatever you end up with, the exercise is sure to tell you a little but more about who you are and what is important to you. Wishing you all a restful Sunday, and one which is full of dreams.  

No comments: