Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Use Your Vote!

Today, Tuesday, is the last day of pre-voting in the local elections, prior to the official polling day which is next Sunday 28th October.

I took Cameron along to see how the voting system works here in Finland. Even though he is still only eleven, I hope he learns to appreciate how important it is for him to vote when he is old enough to do so.

Someone stopped me on the street this week and asked why I was standing. I got the strong impression that the person thought I should not be a candidate in Somero because I am not originally from the town. (I think my "foreign" name made it even worse!)

Well the answer to the lady's question is simple, irrespective of where I have moved from or where I was born. 

I am standing because I care about Somero and about what happens to it.  Somero is my home.  I don't believe that you achieve much simply by complaining about things, you have to be prepared to be involved yourself.

Most people in Somero, whether they are standing or not in the elections, want the same things for the town. They want it to remain independent, retain its own services, have incresed jobs on offer and be a safe and attractive place to live.  Those things can only be achieved by working together to find the best solutions for the future, and hopefully whoever is elected will do their best to make sure that happens.

The important thing is for us all to take part - so whoever your favourite candidate is, make sure that your voice is heard in these elections. Go out and vote!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Surely we vote!
Kyösti

Steph said...

I think people just ask because it's unusual for a foreigner to get involved in local politics. Not bad, just unusual. Of course we all care what happens to Somero, no matter from which part of the world we have been guided here.

I found the "vaalikone" on the Someron lehti website very helpful to find the best suited candidate after I filled the questionnaire.

jodymerelle said...

Believe me, this person's views were clear through the way the question was asked...

Anonymous said...

Good luck in the elections mummy, sorry I don't turn 18 in time to vote for you! <3
Everyone else who sees this...please vote number 69! :)
Saskia x