Thursday, September 27, 2012

You Think the Weather's Bad Here?

I was born in England.  This means that I am used to bad weather. However, when people hear that I live in Finland they often look horrified."How could you live there?" they cry. "Isn't it cold?"

Yes, the winter in Finland is cold.  But this is because in Finland we have real seasons. Seasons that change. Seasons that are different from each other. I like that. You know where you are in this country.

In the UK, however, there is one season. Rain. It can look exactly the same in December as it does in July. And at the same time you can be surprised by the sun at any time, the only thing is, you never know when, or if, or for how long. 
I have just got back from the UK. When we arrived it was cold and grey.  Then there was one day of random sunshine on Saturday, after which it returned to cold and grey, only this time accompanied by rain.  Lots of it.  In fact it rained so much over the next four days that there were floods all over the North East of England. Fifty-eight of them to be exact. Houses were flooded, schools were closed, motorways were shut, trains were late....you can imagine the rest. It was total chaos all over the place.

I arrived back in Finland to be told that the weather had been "terrible" here. I looked around to see the leaves turning gold and orange and brown in the trees, felt the fresh air and a light smattering of rain on my face.  Honestly. If this is what they call terrible, I recommend a quick trip to the North of England. Let's see if you've changed your mind about the Finnish weather when you get back! Oh....and take an umbrella.

4 comments:

Katri said...

La belle vie, quoi? No, seriously... It sounds that it's been quite horrendous in there, compared to Finland. (But I still think that Monday was a terrible day!) We're looking forward to seeing you again, maybe you'll bring the sunshine back, at least to our Tuesday evenings.

Which reminds me, what time is the opening of Oravatupa?

Stephanie Silvan said...

Haha, this made me laugh out loud! On Tuesday we were talking about the ever-complaining yammering and whining Germans in Finland who just can't stop being german and keep complaining about everything, foremost of all the weather. They complain when it's too hot, too dry, too wet, too cold, too many mosquitos, too little sunshine... the weather just seems to be unable to do just about anything right.

I also mentioned that in Hamburg, Germany, you can tell it's summer because the rain feels a little warmer. ;)

And right now, almost in the same second my facebook displayed two new messages: 1) my German friend, complaining about the rain (it's autumn! It is supposed to rain!) 2) your blog post with the most fitting title ever.

Loved it - and welcome home!

Anonymous said...

That figures! Your story proved to be true - with those snapshots ;-).But for us Finns even our current 'humidity' is a bit too much..

Welcome back !

Heikki

Anonymous said...

It was perhaps beginning of August 1985 or something. We were discussing about weather with Mrs Jones, she did work for spare parts department of David Brown Tractors Ltd, (actually I had to give spare parts order to her).
She told that in England had been cold and rainy season. I told that in North Finland we had day temperatures from 23 to 28. She asked: "Do You mean minus?" "I always thougt, You have icebears there"
Nowadays we know much more about weather, as well as other things going on all over the world.

Kyösti