Friday, September 7, 2012

Oravatupa - The Story so Far

The Somero English Club reunites after the summer break
Those of you who have followed this blog since the beginning will know the story of the Somero English Club. We started off meeting in rented premises in Kiruun Tila in the middle of town and stayed there until the end of May. We had a lot of fun during the spring, and Kiruun Tila was a great place to start, but over the summer break I felt strongly that it would be better if we had our own"home." This way we would have a place we could use at any time and where we could leave things that belong to the club. But the idea just kept getting bigger. The more I thought about it, the more it became clear that the project did not have to stop there. With the right place, we could really make something special in Somero, something which perhaps has not existed here before.

My idea was to create a place which feels like sitting in someone's sitting room, surrounded by things from the past. Somewhere comfortable and welcoming where people can meet each other and where no-one would feel in a rush to leave. So, without any more clarity than that, I started collecting things from markets and auctions.  Each occasion I saw something which I thought would "fit" I took it home with me. Then I took it home tothe garage and waited.

"Before"
I have already written about my frustrating search for a new home over the next few months. As you now know, eventually luck was with us and we were fortunate enough to end up in the old gymnasium situated in Nuppulinna, a former school building on Vanha Härkätie in Somero.

I have had the keys now for just a week, but the place is slowly coming together and I feel sure that we can make it something really special. The Somero English Club met for the first time again on Tuesday (at short notice!) and we are due to have a busy night next Tuesday too as people are back after the summer.

"Before"
In any event, the idea is to expand our "home" so that it can be used for the whole community. I have a whole bunch of ideas but more suggestions are being made all the time, so nothing is yet caste in stone, and nothing is impossible. These are my preliminary thoughts as to how we can use the space.






  • Somero English Club, of course.
  • French and spanish conversation groups.
  • Finnish for foreigners conversation group (thanks to Luke and Stephanie for this initiative)
  • Conversation group and friendship network (in Finnish) for retired people
  • Letterbox club, to introduce children to the art of writing letters and postcards
  • Holiday English group
  • Language camps for children
  • Sunnuntai Kahvila (Sunday cafe) with all proceeds going to charity
  • Shoes for Sri Lanka project (more about this later)
  • Well-being courses for all ages
Starting to look like home
These are just some of the ideas floating around at the moment,but I feel certain that the place has lots of potential and that we can make it into a valuable and really enjoyable resource for the whole community. All we need is a little bit of imagination and creativity, and the sky is the limit. I want Oravatupa to be a place open to everyone in the town (and from beyond), so if you have any ideas as to clubs/activities you would like to see there, feel free to get in contact.
 
Our first information session will be held on SATURDAY 15th September at 11.00. Everyone is welcome to come, from near or far.  I can guarantee hot coffee and a warm welcome. Help me make the Oravatupa a place we can all enjoy. Look forward to seeing you there!

No comments: