Sunday, September 23, 2012

Why Am I Laughing?

The goat at the back is eating my hair...
Because a goat is eating my hair.

I visited a farm yesterday just north of Newcastle with my oldest friend Juliaana who came down from Scotland for the day.

Goats are one of my favourite animals and I would happily spend all day feeding them if I could. The crunching sound when they eat makes me happy.

I like the attitude of goats too.  They do what they like when they like.  I remember once when I was working in court, and one of the experts who was due to give evidence had a text message from his wife asking him to call her as there was an emergency at home.  He thought someone in the family had fallen ill, so, feeling very worried, he asked the Judge if he could be excused from the courtroom to make a phone call.

Ten minutes later he was back.  I asked what was wrong, hoping that it was nothing too serious. "One of our goats decided to jump through the roof of the greenhouse," he said. "The thing is, the goat is in the greenhouse, and I am in court.  I am not sure exactly what my wife expected me to do from here...."


That was about eight years ago, and it has made me laugh ever since. Goats will be ruled by no-one.

I also had to post a picture of this sheep. She has a head like a teddy bear and I thought she deserved to be featured on this blog as I have never seen a sheep quite like it.  She seems quite a contented sheep, don't you think?

10 degrees today, and grey skies. Regards to you all from both me and this happy sheep living in the North East of England.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story! Court,emergency message,a goat in greenhouse:):):)My best regards to You Jody...and the happy sheep too as well:) Hannele

Stephanie Silvan said...

Haha, I love goats and their attitude.

When we got our sheep, we got a goat along with them. Izzy (I named her after the Grey's Anatomy character) was an orphan and had been raised amongst sheep, but she was very different. She broke out of every fence and climbed on everything. She was really clever and always the hardest to catch when we put them inside for winter. Usually she was very tame, but she always KNEW when it was the right time to run.

She had quite the personality. One day we decided she was not fully happy among sheep and we found her a wonderfully crazy goat lady who is keeping 6 goats on her ground. She told me she had stopped dating men for her goats, because she could never be with a man who doesn't understand goats.

I still miss Izzy, but I know she's happy now. Every now and then I get a picture on my phone of Izzy standing on her roof, Izzy eating a hat, Izzy... being a goat.

Katri said...

You look so happy in these photos that I can't help but smile. :) Funny thing about goats and sheep, just today a friend of mine posted a short story of her own future after ten years when life is not so good, and she wrote how she was envious to me because I was living in Scotland married to a sheep farmer. So somehow these fluffy friends tend to pop up into my life today...