Friday, September 21, 2012

Real Chips from Darlington!

Chips from a UK fish and chip shop
Usually when you leave your "home" country to live somewhere else you miss things that you were used to and cannot buy abroad. In all honesty there are only a few things that I miss from the UK these days, but there are a few. I have to admit that it is much easier to be a vegetarian in England - more than ten per cent of the population don't eat meat or fish (more than the entire population of Finland) so there is a huge choice of vegetarian food everywhere you go.

Look at the size of this onion ring!
Apart from that though, there is only a short list of things that I like to eat when I come over the to the UK, and I have to say that almost all of them are very unhealthy. One of them is "real" chips from a UK Fish and Chip shop (not French fries...they don't count). I have just eaten a portion of real chips - which I think must have contained about nine million calories. But hey, you only live once.

For dessert (which I shouldn't be eating at all) I am having these chocolates on the right called Minstrels. I expect to have put on around ten kilos by the time I am back in Finland.  Also included on the list of "things to eat" while in the UK are a jacket potato with cheese and coleslaw, prawn cocktail crisps and a cooked breakfast of egg and vegetarian bacon.

As usual the weather today has been chilly and damp. At the moment it's 9 degrees but it feels colder than that. The headlines on the news are that a man has been arrested for the murder of two policewomen in Manchester and that the current government is very unpopular.  Apparently if there was an election today then the labour party would win by a landslide majority. So there we are.  Unhealthy food, cold weather and an unpopular government - a typical day in England! Wishing you all a happy weekend - regards to you all from Darlington.

4 comments:

Katri said...

Mmmmmm... <3 Sounds delicious

Anonymous said...

UGH... I am not... really envious right now! :D

But other than that, glad you landed safely and wish you a splendid jolly good time in ole England. Enjoy your trip (and yourself) and don't forget to send the obligatory postcard f

Stephanie Silvan said...

Sorry, the anonymous comment was me... ;)

Anonymous said...

You JOdy are our sunshine here in Somero! I hope that you have a good time there in UK. I want to wish HAPPY BIRTHDAY to YOUR 90 years old FATHER!!! I´ll go next wednesday to Forssa when is my mothers birthday. She will be 91 years old. I hope that we meet soon. All the best to YOU JODY from Hannele