Monday, September 17, 2012

Ten Positive Things

Oskari enjoying life
Sometimes when you are going through a really bad time it can be really difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel. When several challenging things happen at once it can feel a bit like being buried under a pile of rubble.  There have been occasions this past week when my greatest desire was to get under my duvet and stay there.

But actually, these are the times when it's most important to keep your head up and to search for the positive things that surround us all the time, even when we find it difficult to see them.

Elvi in the sunshine
I sometimes play the "ten postive things" exercise. It's simple and I am sure you can guess the rules.  All you have to do is to stop for a few minutes.  Wherever you are and whatever you are doing.  Then look around and force yourself to spot at least ten positive things. They can be physical things that you see or things that you remember, it doesn't matter. But I guarantee you will find them if you try.

I played the game this evening. I had nightmares last night so woke up tired and I would rate the day at work at around two out of ten, so by the time I got home I figured it was a good day to play the game. Here's my list....

1. The white roses I bought on the way back from work.
2.  Minttu's fragile little legs (she can now manage around six steps....sometimes even ten)
3.  The satisfaction of Oskari the cat (AND the fact he no longer wees on the bed)
4.  The memory of spending the afternoon with my friend Elvi yesterday afternoon
5.  The secret chocolate I have hidden in the cupboard!
6.  The fact that it looks as though my Dad is going to make it to his 90th birthday (next week) which at one point I didn't think was going to happen.
7.  The rain this evening which felt really refreshing on my skin when I stood outside.
8.  Yesterday's surprise phone call from my surrogate daughter, and one of the world's most wonderful people, Yesica, who lives in Colombia.
9.  My friends.
10. Watching Luca (4) and Niko (2) running around this evening singing "emme pelota ollenkaan, sanoo apinat"  (we are not afraid at all, said the monkeys).  No idea where this has come from...but it was funny.

I should perhaps add to this list number eleven, which is now that Lucie has left the room I can turn off Desperate Housewives, which does NOT feature on my feel good list.  There, it's off.   I told you you can spot positive things if you try!

So whatever life is throwing at you at this moment in time, don't let the buggers get you down (as we say in English).  Hold your head up high, stay confident and keep looking for the positive things. They are always there if you remember to look.

2 comments:

Lucie said...

Sorry! I havent watched Deperate Housewives in ages and its a really good series. appologies once again mother!

Yesica said...

Oh my God! im on the list! :)
It made me so happy to talk to you and im really glad i will be able to call you more often!!
I love you so much! and you have no idea how much i miss you .. there is a lot we have to talk about! love you loads mami! xxxx