Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Somero People - Meet Tanja Alenius

Tanja Alenius is originally from Forssa, but now lives in Humppila and works in Somero developing travel and tourism in the area.

Tanja's first job was in telephone sales, and perhaps surprisingly she looks back on that five-year period as being a happy one.

"It was great," she says, laughing. "Certainly challenging, but I really enjoyed it, despite the fact that it's probably the least respected job in Finland!  I probably had to make around fifty calls a day, selling anything from magazines to insurance. Two thirds of people weren't in the slightest bit interested, but most were still polite. I would say five per cent in total were really rude...and it was never young people, always the older generation that were really insulting."

However challenging it was, Tanja did exceptionally well at the job, becoming sales manager when she was still a teenager. After this experience she decided to move on to study business (tradenomi), gaining expereince at the same time in a media and marketing company linked to the college.

"That job was fantastic because it was so creative.  We were involved in marketing campaigns, organising events and visual identit, and I loved it. We were learning all the time and we were encouraged to try new things. It was ok to make mistakes and I was surrounded by creative people, which I really enjoyed."

Unfortunately, as this job was tied to Tanja's training course, it ended once she graduated, and then followed a period of six months at home.

"They were really long months," she remembers.  "It was difficult. We had just moved to Humppila and I didn't know anyone.  I had no car and I was stuck at home with nothing to do. It was really tough."

It was during this period that Tanja first applied for a job in Somero. The first time though she was not successful, so she started work in a supermarket just to get out of the house. Then out of the blue she received a call from the Town Hall. 

"It was last September.They had my cv, and were asking if I was interested in a position as project leader for a travel and tourism development project. It was exactly what I wanted to do, so of course I was over the moon. I said yes staightaway."

Since that phone call, Tanja has been involved in strengthening Somero's travel and tourism network. She was also in charge of organising the Pirturalli car orienteering event last month.

I asked Tanja about Somero's future potential in terms of tourism.

"I think we need more activity-based tourist attractions," she says. "We don't use the river enough at the moment for example, and we could also develop more in terms of winter activities.  We could have ice saunas and husky rides, that sort of thng. The other big area for growth is to attract people from Helsinki and other big towns who want to escape for the weekend. It is peaceful here, and we should fill that gap in the market by providing a real place for them to escape to when they want to get away."

Tanja is one of those people who is full of inspiration and new ideas. You tell immediately that she oozes creativity. If you were involved in a new company or project, then she is exactly the sort of person you would want to have on the team.

"I like people," she says. "I like watching them and knowing why they act in the way they do. I also like taking pictures, drawing, painting and I'm learning how to do tattoos."

At still only 23 years old, Tanja does not know yet what the future holds, but she is certain that she wants to work in a creative atmosphere.  She also wants to feel inspired by a team with whom she can develop new ideas and help improve existing ones.  I am quite sure she has an exciting and varied future ahead, but for the moment we are lucky to have Tanja with us here in Somero.  She carries with her a sense of positivity and optimism which is good for Somero's travel and tourism - but also makes her great company over a cup of coffee!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful words, oh I'm going to blush :)

love u Jody

Anonymous said...

Why not develop the Pirturalli as a happening. Once a year for instance. Some special program, as old smugglers cars, old weapons, temporary sales rights of spirits etc. Perhaps some radio ads.

t Kyösti