Friday, April 13, 2012

Ella Takes us Orienteering!

Almost ready for the Olympics....


Kyösti was right last week when he said it is always good to try new experiences. Yesterday I had a text from Ella asking if I fancied going orienteering, and as this is something I have never done before I couldn't resist the challenge.








Ella showed us what to do!
I know that everybody who has grown up in Finland has probably been orienteering before they could even walk, but in England it is not nearly so common, and this was the first opportunity I have had to take part. I loved it!

In Somero the orienteering club is organised by Someron Esa, and meets every Thursday from mid April until mid September.  This week was the first meeting of the season. I couldn't believe how well organised it was! Each week you can choose the length of the course you wish to follow...2km, 3km, 5km or 7km. It must take hours for the organisers to get all the maps and routes and stops ready -we are so lucky to have all this organised for us right on our doorstep.




Orienteering is RUBBISH, thinks Luca
Ella and I chose to do the easiest of the routes as it was my first time there and I also had both Cameron and Luca with me. (There was also a course of 800m for small children but we decided to start with a "grown up" course even if it was a short one!) Each week the club meets at a different location somewhere within Somero. This week we were in Hovimäki and next Thursday will be in Sarininkulma.



we passed this overturned tree which I found spectacular
I have to be honest and say that I had no idea what to expect, but I haven't had such fun for a long time and am very grateful to Ella for dragging me along! If you like being outside, and you enjoy being very close to nature as well as having exercise, then orienteering is perfect because all these elements are combined in one activity.







Cameron enjoys a doughnut at the end

Cameron ran all the way round, but not surprisingly Luca had had enough by the time we were half way round and made it quite clear that he does not plan to go orienteering again any time soon.

There were coffee and doughnuts for everybody at the end, but the best thing was the atmosphere of the whole event. Everybody was made to feel welcome, and it didn't matter at all if you had no idea what to do.

So there you are...if you have a sense of adventure and you are looking for a new experience then this could be just what you are looking for!  Perhaps we will see you next Thursday in Sarininkulma! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

By the way... whether I've authorization or not... Pirkko and Seppo (in the last picture)should be the members of the local English Club... ;-) Absolutely!
Heikki

jodymerelle said...

No authorisation needed Heikki, they are obviously both welcome...as long as YOU agree to come orienteering....