Sunday, April 15, 2012

Almost Spring

Our pile of garden twigs was taller than Cameron
Oh hurray for the sunshine and the blue skies! I got up early this morning and went straight outside into the garden. The lawn was covered with twigs and branches that have fallen over the winter, particularly during the big storm on Boxing Day, so we spent three hours today collecting them together.

Working in the garden is great because you can exercise and do something useful at the same time. It was so satisfying to see the grass again!
Now we have a massive pile of twigs to get rid of but we are not the only ones with this problem.  We are thinking of clubbing together with our neighbours and getting a shredder which we can all use. Of course the big benefit of this plan is that someone will show me how to use it, because otherwise I wouldn't have a clue...

We enjoyed every minute of the sunshine. The boys were out on their bikes and tractors, and I planted the first outdoor flowers of the year. It's a bit early for Finland, but I have told them to think positive and they have promised me that they will do their best to stay alive.

First outdoor flowers of 2012 
I have never known anything about gardening (having grown up in a small flat in the middle of London), but this year I have big plans. I intend on growing all sorts of things in the garden, including strawberries, tomatoes and potatoes and all sorts of herbs. I will let you know how it goes.

Now I just have to keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't start snowing again tomorrow...


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They have,again :(, forecasted snow..but let's all hope it's just temporary!My own yard provides quite a challenge - lots of branches and stuff.I've tried to gather that stuff on my own initiative,strengthened with some hints given 'from the direction of our kitchen'... I believe you have done of good workmanship when it comes to planting and hopefully the result is prolific!
Heikki

Anonymous said...

The shredders are easy to use. Chaff is very usefull, we use it around ornamental plants, it is stopping or atleast limiting growth of weeds.
Of course, if You are very willing to do gardening and like more uproot weeds, it is up to You.
Kyösti