Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Bad Day Ends Well

It's funny how a day which starts really badly can still sometimes turn out really well. The beginning of today was horrible. There is a really negative atmosphere at work which the management refuse to acknowledge in any serious way.

The result is a large group of intelligent but unhappy people who feel demotivated but don't dare to say how they really feel for fear of losing the little bit of security they have. I had a series of difficult meetings today and came away with the feeling that there has to be another place for me out there somewhere, even if I am not sure where it is right yet.


Anyway, without going into any details, the first part of today was not great. Until I arrived at Jussi's Baari this evening that is, and then everything changed.

Tonight the two classes of the Somero English Club met for the first time and we had a meal together.

Some people were away this evening but there were still sixteen of us there, and after a horrible day at work, I was suddenly surrounded by people with whom I now feel really at home. We all come from different backgrounds. There is a large variety of ages amongst us, some are just starting out in life and others are retired.

Some people (myself included) are new to Somero, and others have lived here all their lives. Some of us have families and others do not. But despite all these differences, the group has come together and I genuinely believe that many of these new friendships will be lifelong ones. 




I hoped, the first time that we met back in January, that the Club would evolve and grow and that it would provide a place for us all to find new friends in the town in which we live. But I did not expect to find myself amongst such a group of special people. All I can tell you is that every Tuesday, when I leave the Club, I feel better than when I arrived, and that is because of the people who are in it. I hope that they know how special they are.

In any event, today was proof, once again, that even a bad day can turn into a good one, as long as you have friends to share things with.  These are mine, and I am proud to have them.

If you are anywhere near Somero and you want to meet some special people then the club is starting again next Tuesday and will run until the end of May. You would be very welcome to join us! Here's hoping for a good day tomorrow for all of us. Jody.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jody, Frederic and all others in both groups for nice meeting tonight. I hope we will see again next Tuesday in Kiiruun talo
Manu

Anonymous said...

Refering to the title of this blog it came true to me as well...due to this story strengthened with photos!
The Murphy's law became reality - too many things coincided and 'the horrible fact' was that the undersigned could not be present at the dinner. All in all,the idea to arrange this kind of gathering was super-duper!
Heikki

janestheone said...

will the club meet in August? I really hope to be in Somero then! I feel like I know some of the people.

Katri said...

They say that home is where your heart is. Well, part of my heart will always be with you! May that bring you comfort whenever you feel bad about anything. Some friends are there hoping that they can cheer you up and offer a shoulder to cry on if there is ever need to. I'm one of those. Have strenght and sunshine in your life!

Anonymous said...

I really want to meet you Jane Griffiths when You come here to Somero!---Then I want to write something about our English clubs meeting in Jussi's Bar. It was wery warm and special meeting. Thank You our Jody!!! You Katri surprised me in your comment! You are´welldone´and´grow(n)up´!You wrote so how we all feel and I hope it will last forever!Thank you!With love Hannele