Thursday, January 2, 2014

Making Today a GOOD DAY

I have read several books recently which suggest that your level of happiness, or contentment with life, is only partly to do with your circumstances. Most of it, they claim, is a result of your own state of mind - something which you can learn to control yourself.

I find this a really interesting theory, especially as someone who has suffered from quite serious depression in the past. Depression is something people rarely talk about openly, even though it affects most people at some time or another. My view always used to be that no one would choose to be unhappy...if you're unhappy then you just are.Why would anyone knowingly choose a life of sadness?  But that view has come to change over recent years.

I now believe that there is a lot you can do to affect your own moods and how happy and content you feel with life.

Anyway, today I have decided to put this theory to the test. Ive chosen today because I am feeling rough! I slept very badly last night following a series of nightmares. I often suffer from nightmares when things have not been going so well. Over the last few weeks life has presented me with some hard challenges....so for me the recipe is there for this to be a BAD DAY. Tired, nightmares, painful memories.....you know what I am saying.

So, I thought, this is also a perfect day to put the theory to the test. If my level of happiness is down to me...then I don't have to accept having a bad day  - I can do something about it. I am not going to sit at home dwelling on the negative - but I am going to do my best to make this a really GOOD DAY.

I don't have a plan yet...just a positive attitude. My goal for today is simply to enjoy it. To do some positive things and to go to bed tonight feeling better than I do this morning. I wish the same for you...and I will let you know how I get on!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My experience is:
I had had hardships period of some months and i was totally fed up about it.
I desided to see positive things around as well as desided to see more other persons problems.
After some days life began to be more easy and happy.
I continued that method. Soon i did forgot problems of my own.
I also realized that my positive attitude was transmitting to co-workers.

Kyösti