Monday, January 6, 2014

Heaven in London

Cameron and I have just got back from a weekend in London. England's capital is very familiar to me, as I was born and brought up there, but I can't say it ever felt like home, even when I lived there.

Still, it's so packed with history and culture that it will always remain one of those cities you should certainly see before you die. Cameron and I took the opportunity of Finland's holiday weekend to pack as much as we could into two days and we managed quite a lot.

On the way back from the airport this afternoon I was telling a friend about the weekend and she asked me what my personal highlight had been. I realised that it was nothing that we had seen, or anything touristy that we had done. It was the realisation that Cameron is just as happy as I am to spend hours mooching around bookshops.

Books in Finland are expensive, foreign ones even more so. Since I have lived here, English bookshops are one of the few things I have missed from the UK. So for me, the opportunity to spend an afternoon in an English bookshop which is packed to the rafters with millions of books...well, that's my idea of heaven.  I am not normally a big fan of shopping...but bookshops are a different story altogether.

That, combined with the fact that I have a twelve-year-old son who loves reading as much as I do were quite definitely the highlight of my weekend. In these days of Facebook and text messaging and email, there is still nothing than can beat settling down in front of the fire with a good book. Whatever my children end up doing in life, if they have a love of reading then at least something will have gone right. 

No comments: