Thursday, January 9, 2014

Cafe Rose

Traditional Finnish cinnamon buns (korvapuusti)
As a half-Finn who has lived a fairly nomadic existence up until now, people often ask me why I came to settle in Somero. Sometimes I start giving a list of reasons...there are plenty of good things about this town. But the real reason that I ended up here was simply that it "felt right".

A bit like meeting a man and then falling in love. True love doesn't come around very often, but when it does, you can't always explain where the chemistry comes from. It just is.

Cafe Rose
Having spent almost half my life in London, I knew that in the long term, big cities were simply not my thing. They are fun to visit for a couple of days...but I'm not sure that a big city could ever be somewhere I'd want to call home.

Somero couldn't be further from being a big city. It is a small town with a big heart - and the very first time I came here I knew that some day I would also come back.

I like the fact that you can walk into town alone and still see several familiar faces. I also like the fact that almost inevitably someone will stop and say hello. Of course it helps that there are more than ten places in town to pop in and get a coffee (even though I don't drink it).

This morning I decided to go for a drink in Cafe Rose and read my book for a few minutes. In the space of thirty minutes I chatted to three people, and knew once again that wherever I end up living in the world, my roots are now firmly planted in Somero. One way or another, I will always come back here....especially on the days when Cafe Rose is serving their homemade carrot cake. Even after having travelled the world, I can tell you that Cafe Rose does the best carrot cake I have ever tasted.  If you don't believe me come and try for yourself. A happy day from Somero to you, wherever you are....I hope it's one which brings you lots of carrot cake.

No comments: