Thursday, January 16, 2014

Home-made Cake in Turku Kauppahalli

Today I was in Turku and took the opportunity to visit the Kauppahalli. Finnish Kauppahallit  (the literal translation is shop hall) are indoor markets with permanent stalls in them. Most of them have been around for a long time and are worth a visit.

I had never been to the one in Turku before and it was fascinating to have a look around.

There are stalls selling vegetables, meat and dairy products as well as several bakeries and other stalls selling tea, grains and nuts. 

I didn't really need to buy anything, but as I like meeting new people, I decided to stop somewhere where the people looked friendly.

Marja Rantanen at the Eedami stall in the Turku Kaupahalli
This decision took me to a bakery stall called "Eedami". Both the owner, Arja Hiltunen, and her assistant Marja greeted me with smiles as soon as I arrived. Arja then explained that it was the only stall in the whole building which had exclusively home-made bread and cakes produced by in the local area.

Nothing is bought wholesale or from abroad. Arja was also proud to let me have a slice of their "herkkukranssi" (see picture below) which is apparently so famous that is has been featured several times in the national press.

I asked why this was. Apparently, several decades ago, this same fruit bun was made by a well-known and popular bakery in Turku who made it with an exclusive recipe.

Once this bakery closed down, the sons of the owner continued making it to their secret family recipe and now it's available at the Eedami stall. I have to admit, it was delicious, as well as being a part of Turku history.

Turku is definitely worth a visit if you visit Finland any time, and if you get there, I recommend visiting the Kauppahalli and treating yourself to a cake from Eedami. You will find not only delivious, local cakes, but also service with a smile, which in my opinion is just as important as the cakes themselves :)


No comments: