Thursday, January 2, 2014

How the Day Turned Out

If sometimes you feel like hiding.....
I'm back for a short update on today's experiment. As I wrote in my post this morning, I woke up to be greeted by all the elements necessary for a truly miserable day. I was tired after a night of nightmares, I was feeling a bit low in any event, the weather outside was dark and gloomy, and well.. you get the picture.

So I decided to see whether I could save the day by making up my mind not to be miserable. And in actual fact, I didn't do too badly.

I set to work early and decided to keep myself busy all day. Before I got up to look after the little ones, I wrote a list of all the jobs I thought I could try and crack today. I knew that if I did some of them I would automatically feel better in the evening. I am pleased to say that of the fifteen on the list I managed to get thirteen of them done, and that in itself lifted my mood.

...you can still find a way to brighten up your day
I also decided that today was time for a clear out. Often when you clear things out of the house physically, it has a big impact on you mentally too. With that in mind I have now taken down and put away all the Christmas decorations, I have changed the curtains and given away a big pile of old clothes. I also put fresh white sheets in my bed so it would feel nice when I go to bed this evening.

In addition I started compiling my new year's lists...lists of resolutions, ideas, plans and goals. This is always one of my favourite things to do, and a great way to escape a low mood.

The first highlight of the day was a visit from my good friend Heidi, who also brought with a her a lovely friendship book with a page for each of my friends to complete. Then in the evening the whole family settled down to watch Autralian Masterchef. I have no idea why we like this programme, as none of us has a deep interest in cooking, but somehow it's become a habit at six every evening. Tonight even Niko and Minttu had a lesson in how to make a complicated chocolate pudding, so fingers crossed they'll remember it for the next week.

Given the way the day started off, I am actually quite pleased with how it turned out. It wasn't the best day of my life, but it wasn't the worst either. I would give it a six out of ten. But given that this morning I felt like staying under the covers all day, I reckon that's not bad at all. Sleep well everyone. Wishing you a happy tomorrow.

No comments: