Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Feeling Down? (Part Two)

I wrote a post back in February 2012 when this blog was only a few days old.  It was called "Feeling Down?" It was only several months later I realised that it had attracted more hits than any other post that month. I guess it's not too hard to guess why. Every one of us feels down from time to time and in one way or another we are all looking for answers. How can we stop ourselves feeling sad or miserable? Where can we find hope from when there doesn't seem to be any left? And what about when we are feeling low but can't even identify the reason why?

 If any of that sounds familiar, then I can guarantee you one thing. You are not alone in feeling that way, which is why several hundred people read the post. They saw themselves in the title.

On that particular day I simply posted a picture of a beautiful sunset which had appeared over Somero that evening. Sometimes when we are feeling really low we can't even see the beautiful things that might be sitting right in front of us.


Last night I chatted to a close friend of mine who is one of several people I know feeling low right now. She said that at times this week it had been difficult to find the hope she was looking for. We decided we should get together and try and find some positive goals for the year which would help us both start to feel more hopeful and optimistic about life again.

Then this morning I woke up exhausted. For some reason Minttu woke up several times last night so I had slept very badly. I was tired, the boys were up early (as usual) and I didn't feel like getting out of bed at all. My health problems have been back this week and outside it was pitch black. Oh...and there were too small people wearing smelly nappies in my room. Not a good start to the day.

Reluctantly I dragged myself out of bed and started on my list of Mummy tasks for the day. I wasn't feeling cheerful or optimistic about anything. Just fed up and tired.

Emergency services never far away in our family
And then I heard a beeping noise and saw a flashing light from outside the bedroom window. Niko (3) ran in screaming with excitement. He had spotted the snow plough clearing the carpark outside, and to him, he could just as well have been in Disneyland surrounded by Mickey and all his friends. How EXCITING!

And in that moment I saw the world through the eyes of my three year old son. Suddenly the world didn't look black and cold and miserable anymore. All at once it looked exciting and full of adventure. Not because the scene had changed, but my way of looking at it had. I've held on to that thought since then and perhaps it might just help you too. If things are looking a but grey for you right now - try looking at them from a different perspective. With a different set of eyes. As Niko proved this morning, even when it's black outside, there might just be some flashing lights round the corner....  and once they arrive they will remind you that there is still adventure and hope to be had out there after all.

4 comments:

Katri said...

This is going to sound odd, but I actually feel a bit down when I get up in the morning and the sun is already up. For some reason that blue moment makes me feel calm and prepared for a hard day, because I know that at least I saw something pretty. And I just love walking outside on those times.

Buut it might be that I'm just so nocturnal person. :P

Katy Henner said...

What makes me fell better is to read your blog ;o) You always find the words full of positivism. Even if I've no reason to feel down. Sometimes it's only the grey weather that makes you feel sad and tired...
Each morning and each evening, I'm lookinf on facebook to look if you've wrote something during the day... or the night !
Thank you for that ;o)

Anonymous said...

Sometimes if one is feeling down longer period, it can be signal that emotions try to tell to one that something is wrong.
In such kind situations I try to think what I am doing wrong way. Sometimes I find the reason, after that it easier to continue to correct direction.

Kyösti

Stephanie said...

Kyösti spoke wise words here... as always! ;)