Thursday, October 10, 2013

When you don't need words

Much as I love words, in any language, sometimes conversation can be even more powerful without needing to use them at all.

I had lunch with Lucie this afternoon who told me a touching little story.  She was walking back from the health centre to the middle of town when she saw an elderly couple sitting on a bench in their garden.

The two of them sat there for a few minutes without speaking. They seemed quite content as they sat together in the autumn breeze. Then the man slowly put his hand on his wife's knee.  They looked at each other and smiled. Then they both stood up and picked up their rakes so that they could carry on raking up the leaves in their garden.  And off they went.

When Lucie told me this, I loved her little story of unspoken companionship and understanding. And even more than that, I loved the fact that she had both noticed and taken the trouble to tell me about it.

In amongst all the couples who don't have that special connection anymore, there are still a few who do. I am lucky enough to know a handful of couples like this myself (Jill and Michael, Marja-Leena and Kari...I am talking about you!) They, like this couple in the garden this afternoon, are the ones who give the rest of us hope that lifelong love does still exist, however rare it may seem nowadays.

So to those of you feeling alone or a little despondent....don't give up. Love is still out there, and there's still four months to go until Valentine's Day. So keep believing, you never know what is round the corner.....

1 comment:

Marcus said...

Loved that story!