Sunday, October 6, 2013

Thank You Anita

Do you know that feeling, when you desperately want to do something....you have an idea which you feel is a good one...but no matter how hard you try, you just can't seem to get it done?

Anita Hallapelto
Well I know that feeling really well. I have always been someone who often has new ideas, and sometimes there is one I would really like to make a reality. Recently though, perhaps because of everything that has been going on, I have found it almost impossible to finish anything. I have started things, but then haven't found enough energy to finish it. I don't like this at all, but having spoken to several others I know that I am not the only one who sometimes finds herself in this position.

Anyway, I am happy to say that this is now starting to change. This week I have been working on completing projects that I started a while ago as well as starting some new ones. And it feels really good to finally have some energy and enthusiasm back again.

How did this happen, then? Well, one of the things that helps me when I am stuck is to surround myself with positive  people. When I am lacking my own motivation and drive, I move towards other people who have those things, and I find that their energy for life is almost always contagious.

The reason for that introduction is because Anita, the lady in the photo, is exactly one of those people. She is one of the most positive people I have ever had the good fortune to meet.  Anita and I met earlier this year through our shared love of dance. She runs a shop in Somero called "Helmi" which sells vintage style clothing, and as there are three large dance venues in Somero (Ämyri, Esakallio and Teeriharju) many people go to Helmi to buy dresses for dancing.

Anita, me and members of Monokas dance group at the Turku Book Fair
But there is another reason that people go to Anita's shop. It is because of her. Anita is one of those people who is always smiling, radiates positivity and always has something good to say both to and about other people. Sometimes I go to Helmi to buy a new dress or outfit, but more often than that I go with a couple of doughnuts and stay for a chat about anything that is going on. Plenty of other people do exactly the same. Anita has listened to both good and bad news and we have both laughed and cried together. She has also given me a hug more times than I can remember. But one thing is for certain. Everyone always leaves Anita's shop feeling better than when they went in.

Anita in her shop
Yesterday I joined Anita and other members of the dance club Monokas in a dance and fashion show at the Turku Book Fair. It was a new experience for me to dance anything other than salsa in front of an audience, but it turned out to be great fun and I didn't fall over thanks to my partners Kari, Markku and Arto.

So my message this Sunday to you is this. If you are feeling a bit "stuck" at the moment, or lacking in energy or motivation, go and spend some time with someone who is feeling the opposite. Someone who believes in you, wants you to succeed and chooses to focus on the positive in life. These are the kind of people who will help you find your own drive and enthusiasm again. I know it worked for me. Thank you Anita for your endless optimism, enthusiasm and endlessly positive outlook on life....you were there just when I needed you. I hope you know that you bring something very valuable to Somero and I am sure that everyone who knows you feels the same. Wishing you all a happy Sunday!

4 comments:

Mihaela said...

Very nice introduction of your friend. I'm sure she is all that and more. I have a bit of a passion for style, so I'm looking forward to visiting her shop sometime soon. :)

jodymerelle said...

Let's make it a date Mihaela. I am very mch looking forward to meeting you too...so when you are back in Somero let's get together and I will introduce you to Anita too. I will bring cake for all of us. Have a good trip to India and take lots of pictures :)

Anonymous said...

Jody, it seems to me that You are "Influence type", full of new ideas.

Kyösti

Mihaela said...

That sounds like a plan! Will do. :)