Thursday, October 17, 2013

Friendship beats the winter blues

I am still getting over the shock of seeing the first snowflakes of this winter earlier today. However I am pleased to stay they didn't last long. Instead, I had the pleasure of watching two squirrels chasing each other round a tree and then a blazing fire roaring in the fireplace.

Apart from the imminent start of winter though, the big theme of the last two days has been one of friendship. Yesterday it was the birthday of two of my close friends, Manu and Heidi. Happy birthday both of you! 

Then today I received a surprise message from an old student friend of mine who is now working in Ethiopia. I promised Tedi that one day I will turn up in Addis Ababa and surprise him back. And I think the Finnish winter would be an excellent time to make that happen.

Then I arrived home to find that one of my neighbours, Anne, had come round to help with sweeping up the leaves in the garden and an another Anne turned up for a coffee and a chat. So despite the snow and the cold air outside, the house has been warm, both because of the fire and the friends around us at the moment.

I guess that sometimes, when you can't sit in the sun outside, you have to find sunshine in other ways, and I am happy to say we have found plenty of that this week. With special greetings this time from Somero to Ethiopia! Thank goodness friendship doesn't recognise distance. Or winter for that matter. Real friendship just is, whatever.

No comments: