Saturday, October 19, 2013

Little acorns...big ideas

I thought the frost on this tree stump was beautiful
The view out of the window ths morning was like something from a fairytale. There was a sparkling blanket of frost which covered everything in sight. It was cold too, and the first time this year that I have needed to wear my winter coat.

Collecting acorns this morning
We decided to go for an early morning walk and collect a bag full of acorns. Along the main road in Somero are several oak trees. Acorns have been lying on the ground for a few weeks now, and it seems as though the jays and squirrels don't dare to collect them, probably because there is too much traffic around.

The last time I collected some acorns for the squirrels they had a party for several days, collecting them individually and then hiding each one in a different place. I have no idea how they will know how to find them again, especially when we are under a metre of snow, but I guess they have their methods.


one of our garden squirrels eating from the breakfast buffet
There is a jay (närhi) who also visits whenever there are acorns on offer. He never stays for long, and although I have tried more than once to get a picture I haven't succeeded yet. I am hoping that the new acorns will tempt him to visit some time later today. 

When I was growing up in London I never saw anything other than pigeons or sparrows, which is one of the reasons why watching the birds in the garden will always feel so special to me.

I have also always liked acorns, not just because they remind us all of nature, but because of the idea that big things can grow from something which starts off small. (Mighty oaks from little acorns grow.)

In fact I have just read a book this week which says that we should write down every idea we have. This way they won't get lost amidst all the other stuff going on in our heads. I am sure this is good advice and now have a notebook for that very reason.  I have been feeling very inspired recently (largely thanks to several inspirational friends of mine) so I will jot down my ideas in the hope that some day I will manage to make at least one of them happen. With more than three kilos of acorns collected this morning you never know when another oak tree might start to grow. Happy weekend everyone.




No comments: