Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Spring in Somero?

I hesitate to say this...given that it is already mid April and spring should have come ages ago...but today it actually looked as though spring was in the air here in Somero.

There is still far too much snow on the ground, but some of it is actually melting. At last.  A group of pigeons had found a puddle to splash in, and there were places in the river where you could actually see water as opposed to ice.

I don't mean to sound bitter, but I have to admit that I am not only ready for spring now, I would be quite happy if someone announced that tomorrow was the start of summer. I can hardly wait to dress the little ones in shorts and a t-shirt instead of the four hundred layers they require at nursery each day.

Still, the blue skies have done a lot to lift everyone's spirits this week and we are all living in hope that the snow will soon be gone for good this winter.

With snow still on the ground it's hard to believe that Finnish schools break up next month for their summer holidays. Or in fact that summer will ever come at all.

But we live in hope. The boys have got their bikes out this week, I have abandoned my winter jacket and I told Manu that he absolutely wasn't allowed to go skiing on the lake anymore in case he fell through.

Hard to believe right now that the lake will ever be warm enough to swim in, but I am assured that summer WILL come. And believe me, here in Somero we will remember to relish every minute of it.

2 comments:

Manu said...

Sorry mom, i didnt obey, im a bad boy. Forgive me pls.
ps: vein vehkeet, tarkoitan siis sukset, vintille :-)

Anonymous said...

Fine, Manu! Great comment.. I mean the one written in English... :-)
Heikki