Sunday, April 14, 2013

Somero Rain

The Somero swans have arrived...welcome back!
I have never been so glad to see the rain as I was yesterday. In the UK it rains so often that it is not something I ever celebrated there, but this weekend the rain in Somero was a sign of the end of winter and the snow starting to melt. At last.

I know that many Finns are desperate for the start of warmer weather after our long winters and I am more impatient than most in this regard. For our family though, I think the start of spring and summer
this year has a special significance. The last twelve months has been full of so many challenges and difficult times, that this year I see the melting of the snow as a new start for all of us and the hope of happier times ahead.

Every day this week I have been looking out for new signs of spring. In the last few days the squirrels have come back to the garden,  several pheasants have strolled down the road and many of the rooves are now clear of snow. I am now waiting to be able to see the grass in our garden for the first time.

For the dancers in Somero, another sign of spring is the fact that the Teeriharju winter season is now over and Esakallio will open again from next Friday. Still a few weeks before we can swim in the lake, but we are definitely moving in the right direction. Before then, bring on the rain. After all, rain is supposed to bring good luck with it. I have never hoped that is true more than now.

No comments: