Monday, April 1, 2013

Somero Dance Weekend

It has been a busy weekend in Somero. Now just because of Easter, but also because of the annual "Tanssileiri" (dance camp) that takes place here over five days each year. Several hundred dancers have been in town to attending classes on everything from salsa to jive and slow waltz to rumba. 


In Finland there is a tradition of "lavatanssit" which are dance events held throughout the year, usually with a live band and the opportunity to spend the afternoon or evening dancing. Somero has three big dance venues of its own, Teeriharju, Esakallio and Ämyri, so there is no excuse for anyone in this area not to go dancing if they feel like it. Or at least that is the theory.

My problem has always been that although I have always loved dancing and am passionate about salsa, these other dances have been completely foreign to me until now. The idea of turning up to the lavatanssit and not having a clue about any of the steps just felt too intimidating. I share with most Finns that fundamental fear of looking completely out of my depth. 

But earlier this year I took the decision that all this had to change - and this weekend was the perfect opportunity to start. There are dancers here of all levels - from complete beginners to those who have danced for many years. The nicest thing is that the atmosphere is totally relaxed, and everyone seems willing to help everyone else. Even complete beginners like me. 

Over the weekend I have learnt the basics of the slow waltz, jive and cha cha cha as well as the rumba, which has been my absolute favourite. 

Some of the friendly and understanding dancers I have met have also had the patience to show me Finnish dances called the "humppa" and "fusku" and tomorrow I plan to try a Swedish dance called the Bugg. 

If nothing else, I have certainly had some exercise this weekend - and now feel one step closer to finding the courage to go the lavatanssit. I have also discovered the pleasure of dancing the rumba. I am still looking for my own salsa partner though...so if anyone close to Somero is a salsa fan then please get in touch. Someone help me bring some salsa to Somero!



No comments: