Monday, December 31, 2012

Friendship - The Best Present Ever

Let's face it, if someone were to write a book of my life, then the chapter on 2012 would seem so unbelievable it would probably be edited out. It has to go down as one of the most challenging years ever.


To summarise - in the last twelve months I have lost my job, been in hospital, had serious health issues, my husband left me, as a consequence we had to move home, my daughter told me she was pregnant, I lost my dear uncle, my parents were both taken seriously ill - and just to round things off someone set fire to our family home in the UK. In other words, hurray for the end of 2012.

But the good news, despite the rocky path, is that we have finally made it to the end of the year, and tomorrow is the start of a whole new one. The kids have been fantastic despite all the difficulties, my Dad is still just about hanging on, and I am even coming to terms with becoming a grandmother in a few weeks time!

As with all these things, there is usually a positive side if you look hard enough, and the positive side of this year has been the friends that have surrounded us. On Boxing Day, I wrote about the new friends that this year has brought. Now, on the last day of the year, I want to say a HUGE thank you to all my old friends as well - most of whom I have known for years now, and who have stuck by us through thick and thin. Our family (me in particular) would be lost without you!

First is Jean, the person who can solve any dilemma, however tricky, and whom I turn to at least once a week. (And her lovely new boyfriend Graeme whom I met just recently.)

From France there is Katy who has been there no matter what, Jane from the ECHR in Strasbourg (the best EVER person to share an office with...she still makes me laugh now....) as well as Margaret and Joanna whom I also met there.

Minna from Kalajoki, whom I met in court in the UK ten years ago, and with whom I have shared countless laughter, tears and adventures since.

Ben from the BBC who will always have a special place in my heart.

Anne. Apina. Niin.

Annya and Eve from my DJing days, whom I have now known for well over twenty years (what a  scary thought).

Juliaana whom I have known since we were literally babies and who is always there for others no matter what she is going through herself, and her Mum and Dad (my surrogate parents, Anja and Mauri).

My cousin Sari who is one of the wisest people I know and from whom I always take inspiration.

Herman from the Netherlands, another truely wise person, and mijn Vlindertje!

Simon. Makes me smile when nothing else can. Maybe in our next lives we should fall in love?

Tracey from Darlington, my secret sister, and with whom it is always the same no matter how long the gap is.

Sophie once (a long time ago) the family babysitter, now a mum of three herself and a wonderful friend. (Let's make 2013 better for both of us Sophie!)

Miia, Anne-Maarit, Edina and Terhi who are all survivors. They know why.

Mio at her graduation in the album she sent for Christmas
And I of course I cannot forget my two wonderful extra daughters, Yeca from Columbia and Mio from Japan. They lived for a year with our family from 2005-06 and it was one of the best years ever. Because of the distance we don't see each other often, but I love them both more than they know.

It seems right to end this post By saying a special thank you to Mio for the most beautiful and thoughtful present ever. The thing which actually inspired this post. She must have spent literally hours putting together an album of thoughts, memories, photos and letters which she sent to me for Christmas all the way from Japan. After a truly horrible year, I came back from another tough trip to England last week and found it waiting for me. As I read it I burst into tears.  This time though they were tears of happiness, as it reminded me of how lucky we are to have the friends we have in our lives. We have lost a lot this year, but we have also gained a few things, and we have kept the friends we have had for so long. So THANK YOU MIO, and thank you to all our friends, old and new......because without you, life would simply not be the same.

I wish every one of you a wonderful 2013 full of happiness, and hope to see as many as possible of you in the New year. Love Always, J xxx

4 comments:

Katy Henner said...

I love you too Jody, when I red my name on your blog I was surprised to feel tears runing out my eyes. I'm really proud to know someone like you such a wonderful woman, a wonderful mother and I'm sure that you will be a wonderful grand mother too. Lots of love from France. Hope that life will give us the chance to see us once again.

Sari said...

My dearest cousin: Thnak you for your kind words which make me blush:)

Sari said...

Since I finally succeeded leaving a comment (forget about the google account) I will continue saying that you have always been important person in my life and one of the closest relatives, maybe even the closest. Sometimes you make me wonder because it is hard to follow all your moves. On the other hand, years ago I thought that why should I. I truly admire your courage, energy and enthusiasm in all areas of life. And by the way, I have thought about creating a new love catcher for you- in case you need it:) With love, Sari

jodymerelle said...

Sari...please create the love-catcher. It worked last time...I met Fred just weeks after your wedding! That was six years ago now so I am ready for another try, but a new love catcher would definitely help. Hopefully it will help me find someone who will stay this time! You're a fantastic cousin anyway. The best xx