Sunday, December 30, 2012

Postcard from Kalajoki

 
Kalajoki Church

We are just about to begin the long drive back to Somero from Kalajoki, so I thought for a change I would send you this postcard so that it arrives before we do.

I met with my cousin Sari today in a gorgeous little cafe where they also sell ceramics which are made on the premises. It's called Iso-Pahkala and has been there since 1972. If you should ever happen to be in Kalajoki then I definitely recommend a visit.

Around 10,000 people live in Kalajoki, so it is around the same size as Somero, but

Iso-Pahkala Cafe and Pottery Centre

Kalajoki is one of Finland's busiest tourist destinations, and tens of thousands of visitors come here over the summer. Kalajoki has Finland's longest stretch of beach, loads of activities, a waterpark, several hotels and many hundreds of summer cottages to choose from.  And of course my friend Minna, who will tell you everthing you need to know about her home town.  She loves this place as much as I love Somero.  There is only one negative about kalajoki, and that is the fact that it is a 512km drive from where I live... but worth a visit in any event. Here are a few pictures.... 






My cousin Sari (right) and me

´Minna and me


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Iso-Pahkala is nice place and there is frienly service atmosphere.

Kyösti

Katri said...

Sari and you look alike! :D

Anonymous said...

I´ve been there some years ago.There was so nice service!I saw the same,what Katri did in picture.(hei Katri! Sinä kirjoitat täydellisesti oikein engl.kieltä!On ilo lukea kommenttejasi! Opin samalla kirjoittamaan...KIITOS!!! With warm regards and HAPPY NEW YEAR to all JODY´S FRIENDS(and mine!) and to YOU our JODY!!! With love and friendship Hannele