Saturday, December 22, 2012

Joie de Vivre

Betty knows how to make the most of life
As a lawyer, I know of course that there are two ways of looking at everything - and today was a fine example of that.

The care home where my parents are now living held a Christmas talent show, in which the staff performed songs and dances for the residents.

Having visited every day for the past few weeks I have got to know several of the people living there besides my parents. 
One of my favourites has to be Betty, who moved to live there six months ago. Betty has a permanent smile on her face, and despite all the challenges in her life, she never fails to find something to laugh about.

I find her enthusiasm for life totally infectious. In fact I told her today that I was glad I didn't have a boyfriend because I was sure she'd steal him from me..... and her answer was "I'd have a bloody good try!"

At the talent show she laughed and clapped and sang throughout - a fine example of making the most of each day (and it looks like today wasn't our last, after all).





You would have thought my father, on the other hand, had attended an entirely different event. You only need to look at his picture to see exactly what he thought of the proceedings!  Still, as they say, you can't please all of the people, all of the time.

My father is not quite so impressed

Whatever happy pills Betty has been taking, I plan to find them and bring them back to Somero with me.  I reckon with could all do with a little bit of her "joie de vivre," She is one person that never forgets that life is here to be lived.

Anyway, is you need cheering up, here's a song I can't hear without dancing to it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDXf-GiWuF0



No comments: