Saturday, February 23, 2013

How heavy is this?

I read something today which I thought was worth sharing.

A psychologist was talking to a room full of people about stress management and held up a glass of water. Everyone in the room thought that she was going to ask the standard question...was the glass half full or half empty. But she didn't. Instead, she asked this. "How heavy is this glass of water?"

Those who were in the room took guesses at the weight of the glass. Guesses ranged from 200g-450g.

The psychologist replied "The absolute weight doesn't matter. The real weight depends on how long you hold it. If I hold it for a minute it's not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my arm. If I hold it for a day, my arm will feel paralysed. The weight of the glass doesn't change, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes.

Your worries in life are like that glass of water. Think about them for a while and nothing happens. Think about them a bit longer and they begin to hurt. Think about them all day long and you will feel paralysed, incapable of doing anything."

It's important to let go of the your stresses as early in the day as you can. Try not to carry them with you through the evening and into the night. Put them down, or they will become too heavy to bear.

I liked this little analogy and thought it was good advice. Not always easy to follow of course, but good advice nonetheless, so I hope you don't mind me sharing it with you on here. Wishing you all a stress-free weekend and lots of love from Somero.

No comments: