Thursday, February 2, 2012

Mmmmm



These days I take care that when I am reading my emails I don't have one of my children looking over my shoulder. That is because I don't want them starting rumours that their Mum is receiving messages from the Klu Klux Klan. This of course couldn't be further from the truth, but the messages marked "KKK" could make them think otherwise. In fact, this stands for "Kolmen Kerran Kuoro," or in English the Three Time Choir.

As the name might suggest, this choir meets just three times before performing, the idea being that people can come and rehearse for a performance that fits in with their schedules rather than having to commit to rehearsals every week. I first joined the choir to sing at Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve, and this next time we are singing in Somerniemi Church on 12th February.  

Our Choirmaster is Olli Salomäenpää, a man able to convey many things with only a few words - or sometimes none at all. Olli will ask us to sing in turn and then respond with variants on the theme "mmm". This can mean one of several things depending on the intonation. It can mean "that was ok", "that was not ok", and very often means - "that still needs quite a lot of work" (putting it politely). He is very patient - the only time he has ever been even close to irritated was when he threatened Schubert last night for writing something too complicated to sing. In fact he is one of these infuriatingly talented musicians who is able to play the piano without even looking. He is passionate about music, and it's a passion which is contagious when you are in the room with him.


The Search for Divine Inspiration
In the past I have sung in large choirs, so large in fact that if you made a mistake you could probably get away with it, which in my case was a good thing. This time though, there are only twelve of us...and precisely three sopranos, so it's a bit more intimidating as you can't get away with anything. It's either right or bad - no in between!

I know that Olli dreams about setting up a large choir in Somero which meets regularly.  For the moment though, he remains cynical about whether it will ever happen. Maybe I am naive because I'm new to the town... but I have laid a bet with him that we can make it a reality and I am determined to prove Olli wrong.  So here is my first open invitation to anyone who has ever thought about singing. Somero choir needs you!  We don't always sing every note perfectly, but I guarantee that you will always go home with a smile on your face, and surely that's as good a reason as any to put your doubts to one side and come and join us in the choir.

PS. I have no idea how news of this blog has travelled to the Ukraine, but I know that there are readers there at the moment. Hello from Somero to those of you in the Ukraine - if any of you are singers you know where to come!

2 comments:

Olli S said...

Hmm...

The Choirmaster

jodymerelle said...

...only problem is I can't hear how you're saying it..and that makes all the difference..