Sunday, February 5, 2012

Getting a Good Picture...


 ...of the Finnish flag blowing in the wind...






... when it is minus fifteen, is not easy. Particularly when there is almost no wind.  Still, I tried.

People travelled in different ways to cast their votes at the Town Hall

Of course it is the final round of the Presidential election today, and the polling station was very busy when I went to cast my vote. Voters used all sorts of transport to get there as you can see from the picture.


This is the best I managed to get...

 Somero town centre felt full of life even though it was a Sunday afternoon. Before voting I spent a couple of hours with my friend Manu in Café Rose which was open for election day even though it was Sunday. There seemed to be quite an excited atmosphere as people discussed who they had voted for.  Manu is always full of interesting stories - I will introduce you to him properly tomorrow as he is my newest friend here in Somero and fascinating to talk to. Meanwhile I hope you all have a relaxing Sunday evening and I am looking forward to meeting those of you coming to our English group on Tuesday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once upon a time there was a parish village(!) called Somero.. that dates back about two decades from now.Somero was about to become a town then and our national press told stories and published pictures about our village - and so did "the yellow papers" as well. There was one fancy detail in your blog that reminds about those times - the kick-sledge!There were lots of them at the Town Hall as a journalist of "an afternoon paper" happened to visit here.After the photo of those "Saab`s" was published at least inhabitants of the neighbouring villages had a good laughs about it..!
Heikki

jodymerelle said...

I love this anecdote! I don't think anyone is laughing at Somero now though!