Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Kari Luoto Story (Part One)

The reason that I refer to "part one" in the title of this post is simple. This story is not finished yet. What I can guarantee however is that there is more to come. I will be publishing the sequel as long as I am still around to see it!

As is so often the case in life, my meeting with Kari Luoto was set off by an odd chain of events, and I can trace it back to a Sunday afternoon spent with Minttu. In January, the church in Somero held a service for all the babies born in 2011. I went along with Minttu and Lucie, and after the service got talking to Olli Salomäenpää, whom I had met in the choir. (see a post called Mmmm). At the time, Lucie knew no-one in Somero, so I asked Olli if he had any ideas as to how she could make new friends. It turned out that he had two daughters himself of the same age and he kindly invited Lucie over to meet them. At this point I mentioned that I also had a son (Cameron) who had just started school in Somero. Because Olli and I had a shared interest in music, he asked if I knew that there was a teacher in Cameron's school who was also a musician - Kari Luoto. I didn't, but it turned out that this was Cameron's class teacher - so the next time I was in town I saw his demo cd on sale and bought it for Cameron as a present. On the way home I listened to it in the car out of curiosity, and it was then that I knew that Somero was hiding a secret star.

Kari Luoto is a very talented man, although there is not a sign of arrogance about him. The exciting thing about meeting him is that you can sense that he is on the verge of a big break. I have no doubt at all that this man is going to make it in the music industry, and make it big. I have very little musical talent myself, (Olli will confirm this!) but as a disc jockey I spent almost ten years playing other people's music, both in clubs and on the radio, and I know a star performer when I hear one. Kari Luoto is in that category, and if you don't believe me, just wait and see.

Kari has lived in Somero since birth, apart from six years spent as a student in Turku.  He lives with his partner Jenni and has three daughters, Emmi (6), Anni (4) and Aada (1). As a child he fantasised about three dream jobs. Actor, teacher and musician. He lacked the confidence to pursue the first of these, but he qualified as the second and  in his spare time has become the third. "I've written songs since I was a teenager," he says "and I can't imagine music not being a part of my life. It is there all the time." Still only 31, Kari Luoto has already been serving his apprenticeship in music for many years. "I have done all sorts of gigs. I play in bars and for events such as weddings, birthdays and Christmas parties. Of course I write my own tracks but at these events we have to perform cover versions as well." As well as playing on his own, Kari also plays in the band Viides Vaihde.

Kari has so far released two demo cds, both of which contain three tracks. The first was released in 2009 and the second a few months ago in the autumn of 2011. Both have been on sale in local shops and have sold several hundred copies.

"I love teaching," Kari says, and you can see from the walls of his classroom how he has inspired the children to be creative (Cameron recently spent a whole weekend at home drawing birds because of a project Kari had developed at school). "The real prize in teaching is when you see the children learn new things. It is a challenging job, but I do it wholeheartedly, and I hope the children have learned to trust me. I do have a dream though, and that is that one day I can live from music entirely." When Kari imagines the future, he is not motivated by fame or money or a desire to sign autographs - he simply wants to share his music with others and touch them with what he produces. Every day that passes he is moving closer towards that goal. "I have really talented musicians behind me right now and am starting to work with a great producer, Sampo Haapaniemi. What we need now is for the radios to start playing our songs so people hear our music." (You can catch Kari's tracks here www.myspace.com/kariluoto)

Like many artists, Kari can find the inspiration for a song almost anywhere he goes. "Music is a way of life to me," he comments. "Every time I look outside the window I wonder if there is the start of an idea out there, and I have melodies constantly going round in my head."

It is clear from talking to Kari that he lives and breathes music and that he is creative in every sense. All he needs now is the one big break that will allow him finally to live his dream. I can't predict exactly how that will happen, but I have no doubt at all that it will. There is a star hiding in Somero ...and I can't wait to bring you the rest of this story as it develops...watch this space!

1 comment:

Frederic said...

I have never met Kari but I listened to his music and I confirm that it's really good! He seems to be a really talented person and on the top of that, and from what I have heard from both Cameron and Jody, he seems to be down to earth which is a bit unusual where you work in the music industry!
All the best Kari for your career, I genuinely think you have he potential to become a star! And thanks also for the efforts you make for Cameron at school. He really likes his teacher!

Frederic