Saturday, February 4, 2012

Breakfast

...is one of those things that tells us a lot about the culture that we come from.  Every country I have ever visited has had its own traditions relating to the first meal of the day.

These differences can become more interesting when you live in a cross-cultural family like ours. We are influenced by the cultures of Finland, England and France, so breakfast in our house can be very different from one day to another!  I know that my older children, who were brought up in England, are very pleased on the days when I announce that today will be a "full English breakfast" consisting of eggs, bacon (vegetarian in our case), baked beans, mushrooms, tinned tomatoes and toast with brown sauce on the side. However this is fairly unusual for us these days, as cooking this type of big breakfast in a family of eight can take the best part of the morning. Still, for those of you who will be starting our English conversation classes, I would be happy to cook you an English breakfast one day if you would like to see what it tastes like.  There is a big kitchen in Kiiruun Tila..so just let me know!

In France, the most typical breakfast is toast, a baguette or a croissant whether on its own or served with butter and jam. When we first came to Finland three years ago we found it quite hard to find really good croissants, but that has all changed since they opened the bakery section at Lidl! Have you been?  If not, I recommend it. Somero's Lidl opened its new baking service just a couple of months ago, and from what I can see it has been a huge success. The croissants cost only 39 cents each and Frédéric says they are the best he has ever found since arriving in Finland. The problem is that if you go to Lidl when you are feeling even the lightest bit hungry, you will generally come out with a basket full of cakes and pastries simply because they smell so appetizing. Be warned...

Luca and Niko having a Finnish breakfast
This morning we settled for a very Finnish meal...riisipuuroa ja mustikkakeitto. This is rice pudding with a type of thick blueberry sauce which is both packed with vitamins and delicious. Three years ago Frédéric was not at all interested in eating rice pudding in the morning...but he has been converted, and these days he often asks for it! 

I did not live in Finland as a child, but I used to visit my family in Lumijoki (near Oulu) during the summertime and I have very warm memories of sitting round the large wooden table together with my aunts and uncles who came to eat breakfast after having already worked for several hours milking the cows in the barn. We would be surrounded by the smell of fresh bread straight from the oven - I can still picture those scenes now.

One of our families new year's resolutions this year has been to spend more time together eating round the table, and this is something which we have really appreciated so far. Childhood memories of what you had for breakfast stay with you for a lifetime, and can often shape what you later try to recreate for your own family. My rice pudding will never be as good as my Aunt Elsa's, and I still have not mastered her method of making strawberry sauce (mansikkakiisseli) as mine always has lumps in it, but I have had no complaints from the family so far - and from the signs round Niko's mouth at least someone enjoyed breakfast this morning! Feel free to let me know what you ate this morning...this week we have had readers from both Sri Lanka and Japan so our breakfasts are likely to have been very varied. Should you ever come to Somero you are more than welcome to join us for a typically Finnish breakfast!

9 comments:

Frédéric said...

First of all, thanks to Heikki for the comments he posted!

Well, I have to admitt that I really like now the riisipuuroa ja mustikkakeitto! Perhaps I am getting more and more finnish but definitely fell in love with the finnish culture. In France, the "croissant" and "pain au chocolat" are famous but I used to have toasts as well. What about you all?
Anyway,really interesting to take a look at the different types of breakfast which exist all over the world, it says a lot on the country!

Frederic

Anonymous said...

This morning we did eat warm outmealporridge mixed with freezed bluberries. Usually we eat outmealporridge with blueberry soup.
Blueberrysoup may be mixed with raspberry or cloudberry, or instead it Strawberrysoup mixed with rhubarb, only imaagination is limiting ideas.
If we are lazy, we eat some sandwich (ham and/or cheese and tomato and/or cucumber) and drink honeytee.

I think, in Italy they often take stong black coffee only or with biscuits, there naturally are lot of options as café au lait and so on. Why? Because they have eaten heavy dinner late in the evening.

Kyösti

Anonymous said...

Normally I would feel like starving after seeing and reading those kind of delicious breakfast descriptions... now after dinner I will not!
This morning me and my younger son had just coffee and some cold cuts..but that breakfast continued in a home into which I drove our junior.There we ate oatmeal porridge with blueberries and stuff. And coffee of course as we Finns like to do!After that I visited my mother and there I had to eat a light lunch (I kindly refused drinking coffee!).Then back home again and there,surprisingly..,my wife and older son were having - coffee...I took half a mug also..
Heikki

jodymerelle said...

Thank you for your comments...It sounds like the whole of Somero was eating blueberries this morning! Any new ideas for tomorrow? We are having pancakes here, with lemon and sugar in UK style!

Cameron said...

Hi am Jody son Cameron 10 years old.

Well the first thing i have to say is that i am looking forward to the pancakes!!! Second this morning i had rice pudding and it was lovely!!!! Usally i would just have toast or cereal in the mornings.
Cameron

Anonymous said...

La nature, doit aimer la FINLANDE. Elle est belle et naturelle. Le calme se marie bien avec l'immensité des plaines et des forêts.En FRANCE, on ne prend pas le temps de la regarder car on court toujours après quelque chose qui, au final, obstrue toujours notre esprit. Et pourtant, quoi de plus beau qu'un couché de soleil, un arc en ciel, des oiseaux dans un arbre, des fleurs dans un champ ou encore le bruissement de l'eau qui coule dans un petit ruisseau en sous bois. Ces images entrent dans la définition du bonheur et de la beauté terrestre , encore faut-il prendre le temps dans la vie, de s'arrêter, de s'asseoir et de contempler dame nature laquelle nous nourrit sous toutes ses formes, notamment sur le plan alimentaire. Dommage, car les animaux, les oiseaux l'ont compris bien avant les êtres humains que nous sommes et c'est une leçon qu'ils nous donnent au quotidien et dont beaucoup ferait bien de s'en inspirer pour trouver une vie aussi belle que riche en tranquillité et surtout douce à vivre au milieu des êtres qui nous sont chers.

Katri said...

This morning I ate Bulgarian yoghurt with some vanilla sugar in it and a glass of freshly juiced orange juice. Rare treat, but it tastes delicious and gives a nice boost of vitamins for the day. =) Usually I just eat whatever happens to be in the fridge, but usually it means bread... My favourite sandwich has salad, black pepper, mayonnaise and cucumber. Delicious with English tea!

Anonymous said...

Sunday morning is the only morning in the week that we have time to share our breakfast together. SO we often take time to make homemaid orange juice, some toasted bread with butter and homemaid marmelade, or french croissant ;o) with a big cup of coffee
If I have time, it's also a big pleasure to prepare a "brioche" or a "kougelopf" on saturday evening to eat it the next day... When I'm travelling... I enjoy the english breakfast with eggs and bacon... My first memories of a foreigner Breakfast was the Austria breakfast.... we went there when I was young with my parents it's really different from France.... If I close my eyes... I can smell the flavour of the small little "brötchen" ... KATY

Mihaela said...

A bit late in joining the "party", but I have to say Lidl smells divinely in the morning! We always get the croissants and often other tasty pastries as well. I didn't know about the Finnish breakfast, but maybe now I can surprise someone with it! ;)