Sunday, February 10, 2013

Happy Birthday Katri!

Katri's first day as on official adult.
Today at Oravatupa we celebrated both Friendship Day and also Katri's 18th birthday. In the UK, 14th February is celebrated by those who are connected romantically (or at least wish they were!) If you are interested in someone but not in a relationship with them, the tradition there is to send an unsigned card, to keep your romantic interest guessing as to who the sender might be.

Here in Finland though, Valentines Day is called Friendship Day, and as the name might suggest, it is a day for friends to remember each other. That is what we did today, even though it was a few days early.

Just as importantly we shared Katri's birthday with her. Katri has been in the Somero English Club since we first met a year ago and has been a loyal member ever since. For those of you that have never met Katri let me use this occasion to say a few words about her.

Katri is someone who never tries to be anything she is not. She is completely honest and genuine. She is also open, giving and is rarely stuck for words. Having now known her for the last year, I know that both myself and everyone in my family considers her to be a loyal friend who is always ready to listen to others.

Kirsti, Manu and Heikki
She is a very creative and musical person. She plays the cello and sings - and is often asked to perform in public. Last year at our charity concert she amazed us all with her singing voice which most of us had never heard before. She also loves creative writing, and writes poetry in both Finnish and English.

Katri loves fantasy books and films, and at the moment is completely obsessed with the film Rise of the Guardians. I can't say anything sensible about this film as I haven't seen it. I can only tell you that my 11 year old Cameron loves it too, and it's my guess that Katri will be over here watching it with him as soon as the dvd is out.
Katri tells us what it feels like to be 18.
Katri told everyone today that she would never forget her childhood memories and never lose her sense of hope for the future either. She also said that she was determined never to stop seeing the magic in the world. I thought that was a great thing to say on your 18th birthday.

All of us who know Katri wish her a very happy birthday and also that all her adult years come to be ones filled with magic.  If anyone deserves it, she does.

2 comments:

Katri said...

My philosophies from last night:

"So what if I’m legally adult now.

My light on the Globe of Belief will never dim.

Maybe I’m not exactly a child anymore and I’m far from innocent, but I will always have eyes that see Wonder and are filled with happy tears from childhood Memories. I will always cherish my share of Dreams and even Nightmares and never forget them. I will never give up Hope for better future, because there is always light at the end of the tunnel and I will continue fighting may way towards it, even if my mind is filled with Fear. And while at it, I will always make sure to have a little Fun in my life.

I think I will stay for a while more in this transition point, somewhere between a child and an adult. I think that is my place for now, gods only know what my future holds. This is me right now, looking myself in the eye.

Magic is in me to stay. Should I cast it away I’m as good as dead."

Anonymous said...

The first picture is clear evidence that you have already figured out what growing up is all about. :D

Steph