Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Rock

Anyone who knows me knows that I love words and the way they can have different meanings to each of us. Yesterday I rang one of my closest friends, Liisa Kortelainen. I asked her to shut her eyes for five seconds and tell me the first word that came into her head. I decided that whatever she said, my next blog post would be based on that.

"Kallio," (rock) she said.

One of the greatest compliments I ever received was from an old friend of mine who lives in the UK. We have been friends for more than twenty years, but because we now live in different countries we see each other only once every few years. At one point he was going through a very tough time and went to speak to a therapist. To help him get through, he was asked to think about the positive things in his life, including important friendships. He mentioned our friendship and told me later that he had described it to the therapist as a rock.  This was because he could rely on it, it was solid, and it never went away, no matter what the circumstances.

Rocks have reminded me of that type of solid relationship ever since then. We have all been through disappointments in life, but on the flip side there are those people who you know will never let you down.

A solid relationship, be it a friend, a family member or a partner, is just like the rock that my friend described and that came into Liisa's head when I asked her.

Rocks are beautiful, ever-lasting and solid - and can stand the most brutal storms imaginable. They can withstand crashing waves, torrential rain and falling trees. You can trust them. No matter what happens, rocks can take it, and they won't let you down. Exactly like those special people you can rely on completely.

So thank you Liisa for that word. We all need a few solid and beautiful rocks to get through life. And I hope you know you are one of mine!

No comments: