Monday, July 1, 2013

Be Proud of Where You Are

I have been lucky in that I have had the chance to travel to many countries during my lifetime.  I have seen many beautiful places and a few ugly ones.

But no matter how many beautiful places there are left to see, I have learnt that the real trick is to learn to see the beauty in the place where you are at any particular moment in time.

It might be a landscape, or your own garden, a pile of leaves blowing in the street, or it might be the way your little girl smiles.

I once heard a foreigner in Finland say that he found the scenery in Finland "boring." I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry, but in any event I felt sad for him. If he can't see the beauty here then I guess he doesn't see much anywhere.  And last week I heard an American complain that Finland is too dark. That was during the same week when in the north of the country the sun doesn't set at all and we had more light than anywhere else in europe.

It's not just about where you are....it's also about what you choose to see. And right now, just after midsummer, Finland is stunning. Hopefully these few shots will give you a taste of how it looks right now. Happy summer everyone!

3 comments:

Nancy Hamilton said...

And to think we will be there in 14 days to take in ALL the beauty of Finland, the people, the landscapes, the food. You live in a wonderful place!

Sari said...

Uskomaton kuva erityisesti tuo kolmas. Kävin tapaamassa Eevaa eilen ja pakko sanoa että itkuhan se tuli kun poistuin paikalta...Suru vain yleensä. Mutta kyllä me nauroimmekin yhdessä kun minä en muistanut yhtä nimeä jonka hän lopulta muisti. Totesimme, että huojentavaa etten minä muista;)

Katy Henner said...

wonderful pictures and wonderful words as ever :-) Finland is definitely an amazing country...