Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Will Anyone Come?

Pentti Koskimaa
I have always been interested in doing voluntary work, and once I arrived in Somero I soon heard about a place called Svensson which is always looking for volunteers to work in the kitchens. Svensson is a fantastic place which offers support to the whole community in a variety of different ways.  You can find more information on what is on offer at this link.

http://www.svensson.fi/svensson

Ruut Saarimäki
Anyway, at the beginning of 2012 I decided that I should get involved in at least one fundraising project this year, and over a coffee with Manu one day, he suggested that Svensson would be a very worthwhile cause. I thought it would be fun to raise money by organising a concert.  The only problem was that I don't really play anything myself and at the time I didn't know anyone else in Somero who did either......

Never mind, I thought to myself. I'll just announce that there's going to be a concert, and once I've done that I'll be forced to find people to perform at it. So that's what happened. I booked the date at the Parish Hall (Seurakuntakeskus) for the 27th May and hoped that I would meet people in the next few weeks who were talented enough to perfom in public.

Kari Luoto
Saara Roto with Minttu
I kept my ears and eyes open over the next few weeks, and destiny was kind to me. Every week I stumbled across one more person who could play or sing. I found out that Ruut from the choir was part of a family band. Then I discovered that my son Cameron's teacher is a very talented artist (Kari Luoto...see the blog entry on him). I came across Pentti Koskimaa because he had a rehearsal in Kiiruun Tila the same night as our English club, Colette Roto I got to know because she is from Cameroon and her first language is French, Saara Roto I met in the choir and then at the seurakunta family club. The Hymnos Choir I met having been invited to hear them sing in Somero, and we got talking because both families had connections with South America. Linda Tyrol Jämsen was introduced to me through her niece Ella who comes to the English club, Katri Salomäenpää has been coming to the English group since it started and I found out about her talents because I ask everyone what they have been doing each week.  I met Elvi because we were both volunteers at the christmas bazaar and then later found out she was part of a reading group....and all of a sudden there they were.  My concert performers!
Elvi
So I had a date and a line up.  But then I fell ill for several weeks so nothing happened at all and at one point I thought I may have no choice but to cancel the whole thing. That would have been a shame though. Svensson is desperately in need of funding, and even a few extra euros is better than none at all. I asked several people to help with the last minute arrangements and the response was fantastic. Some volunteers from Svensson promised to come and help with the coffees. A lady in the library helped me with the Finnish for the poster. Olli, Heidi and Maija Liisa helped with the production of posters and leaflets. Lucie helped me deliver more than a thousand leaflets to letterboxes around the town, Manu took some leaflets for his own neighbourhood and more than fifteen Somero businesses have donated prizes for the raffle.

Everything was back on track again...now there is just one element left. We need people to come!

So if you are anywhere near Somero and fee on Sunday...please come and support a really excellent cause.

The concert is on Sunday 27th May at 16.00 at the Seurakuntakeskus in Somero

The Hymnos Choir
It's free entry with voluntary dontations as you leave. There are coffee, cakes and a raffle...lots of great performers and hopefully a warm atmosphere. All we need now is the audience.  I am hoping and praying I will not be standing there on my own on Sunday afternoon... so spread the word, and I will let you know on Monday how we got on!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sure, there will be lot of audience. You have done Big Job for Svensson charity, it is really labour of love.

Kyösti