Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Hello from England!

Just a quick hello from England. The weather here is horrendous. Apparently this has been the wettest April since records began.  Excellent. We left Finland on Wednesday last week, when it was bright sunshine and 16 degrees.


Salisbury Cathedral
Stonehenge
On arrival at Gatwick Airport we were greeted by torrential rain, it was like being caught in a monsoon. Since then it has been windy and cold, not helped by the fact that I keep getting messages telling me how warm it is in Somero!

Still, we managed to visit a few places, including Stonehenge, although it was so windy that I am surprised the stones remained standing.







I had a really interesting day on Saturday talking to a group of Finnish people in Bournemouth who have all lived in the UK for some time. I'll post some pictures of them next time. Obviously I told them that they were all welcome to visit us in Somero!  They also gave me a list of British foods that I should bring back to Somero so that you can try some British Specialities.
Srping flowers are already out here
Hopefully you will be feeling brave at the next meeting of the Somero English Club. I have come down with flu for the second time this year so I have spent the last few days coughing pretty much all the time, and I have been feeling very sorry for myself. I am now looking forward to getting home. I have lots of ideas of places we can visit if we decide to come over to the UK as a group later in the year. Looking forward to seeing you all soon!
taken in a village just outside Salisbury

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you know that (according to comedian Eddie Izzard) first there was Strawhenge and Woddhenge, but the Big Bad Wolf blew them down?

- Eve (a.k.a. Bitch)

Anonymous said...

- - - woodhenge - - -
-e

Anonymous said...

Hopefully you overcame those weather conditions with the help of the Finnish perseverance.. Whether it's a peculiar coincidence or just typically Finnish May - they now have forecasted the weather turning unsettled!All in all,at least the snowy days are long gone!
Heikki

Soila said...

It is still rainy and cold in Norwich. However here are many flowers, bushes and trees in blossom.