Friday, June 22, 2012

Hello from Whitby!

My Dad will be 90 in September
I have just got back to Somero having spent the last week in England.  I was hoping to update the blog from there but it turned out that I had no internet access all week. Because of that I am doing what many of us do after a holiday...bring the postcard back home in our luggage because we didn't manage to post it.

Luca in front of Whitby Abbey
The town of Whitby
As usual, the weather in England was dull. This time they are saying that it is now set to be the wettest June since records began. It seems to me they manage to set a new "worst weather record" every time I go there. Still, there was one sunny day, and I took Luca and Minttu to Saltburn beach.  Saltburn by the Sea is a small seaside town in the north east of England.  I have never lived there but I have happy memories of going horse riding there every Sunday morning and I was also involved in the local theatre productions when I lived in the region.




Richmond in North Yorkshire
We stayed in another seaside town, Whitby, for a couple of nights too. The news headlines were full of the Olympic Torch which was being taken around the country in the build-up to the Olympics next month.

Healthwise things have been difficult recently so in all honesty the week was quite a difficult one but the highlight was seeing my Dad who will be 90 in just three months time.



I had the sad news that my Uncle Pentti, who I was very close to, passed away suddenly this week.  It highlighted even more the importance of seeing the people we love while we still have the chance. I feel very sad he has gone, but I'm glad I told him that I loved him the last time we met a few months ago.

Anyway, greetings from a dull UK and Happy Midsummer to you all. If there is someone out there who is important to you then make sure you let them know this weekend. It might be the best Juhannus present they could get.

1 comment:

Jeni said...

Ah, the delightful English weather. It's still chucking it down now! at least we had sunshine on Tuesday and Wednesday when OFSTED were in school! how are you all? Did you all come over to England? I hope next time you're over we can catch up-it would be lovely to see you xxx