Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Where is Akseli the Squirrel?




Somero is situated in the middle of a triangle made up of three cities - Helsinki, Turku and Tampere, all of which are commutable from here. So in terms of location it really couldn't be better. But Somero itself is very much a rural town. It serves a large farming community and you are never far away from fields and forests. Those who move here from somewhere else often do so because they are looking for a life in the country, rather than in the middle of a big city, and to my mind at least, Somero offers the best of both worlds.
One of the things I love about living here is the Finnish approach to wildlife. As soon as winter draws near, you will find big sacks of birdfood in every supermarket, so that people are able to provide food for the birds and squirrels who otherwise would find survival during the winter months very hard.
Almost every garden has one or more bird houses, and the birds quickly learn which ones have the best and most regular stocks of food. I know nothing about bird communication, but I am sure that they have ways of telling their friends which houses are "in" this winter!
I have also learned that squirrels tend to be creatures of habit. Until recently, we were visited daily by a squirrel we named Akseli. He would appear at 9.30 every morning, and for around an hour he would entertain us as he came first to eat and then to take food back to his storage places in various trees in the garden. Sadly, Akseli has not visited for about a week now. Maybe he has taken off to Tenerife for a fortnight, or perhaps he has simply found another, more luxurious garden... but we miss him and I'm still hoping he'll come back. Meanwhile I'll keep feeding the birds. They're not easy to photograph well as they move so quickly, but if I manage to get a decent shot I'll post it on here. And if Akseli comes back, I'll let you know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice story! Perhaps a hawk has catch up Akseli, or a fox, who knows.

best regards Kyösti

jodymerelle said...

I hope not! I'm still convinced he will be back soon...I'll let you know if and when he comes back!