Monday, January 23, 2012

Listen to the Silence...





Yesterday evening, after the children had all gone to bed, I needed to get something from the car. As I was just coming back into the house I realised that there was not a single sound anywhere. Not one. It was one of those rare moments when I was surrounded by total silence. In fact it was so impressive that I asked Frédéric to come outside and listen to it with me, and we both stood for a few moments just to listen to the quiet. It made me think of a book I read once (I wish I could remember the name, but it escapes me) written by a monk. He lived in a monastery somewhere remote up in the hills, and it was also a place that people could come to in order to reflect on life and get away from their normal daily routines. The monk said that he was surprised sometimes when people made the comment to him that they did not like being there, because they were not used to the sound of silence. They were so used to living amidst noise that suddenly hearing silence became troubling to them. What sort of world is it, the monk asked, when people can no longer stand the sound of silence? I read that book many years ago now, but I thought that was a very good question and I have remembered it ever since.

In Somero we have the luxury of complete silence sometimes and I really value that, as in most places nowadays this is no longer the case.



When I met those of you who are interested in coming to English conversation classes, I said that we would have no homework...but that I would ask questions designed to make you think about things and then express yourselves in English. So here is one for you to think about....What do you wish you had known when you were younger? If you find the inspiration to write your ideas in the comment box, then I would love to hear from you. We can discuss your ideas further when we meet. And please remember that it doesn't matter how many mistakes you make...our group is about having the confidence to communicate...and it has to start somewhere!

For me, I wish I had understood when I was a teenager that the real pleasures in life come from those small moments which cannot be bought with money. Like sitting next to a fireplace when it is cold outside, or feeding the squirrels (still no sign of Akseli, but I keep waiting), seeing how beautiful the trees are when the snow has just fallen, or simply standing outside and listening to one of those rare moments of silence as I did yesterday. To me, those moments are worth more than any money can buy, and I regret the fact that it took me so long to realise that. What about you? what would you have liked to know when you were younger? If you can't think of an answer immediately, then wait until everyone has gone to bed tonight and go outside for a while. Maybe the sound of silence will inspire you!

1 comment:

clive said...

hi very good article jodymerelle. I wish the same as you, simply too.To have known when I was younger to listen to the silence. But then again I sort of did but when I did just sit and listen people thought me strange and its taken me this long to learn its not strange at all its a beautiful thing to do.Again great articlex