Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Wolverine Street

It's eight in the evening and it's been a busy day for everyone in the family. Our swimming pool is open again after being closed for the summer (because Finns swim in lakes during the summer) and this afternoon Cameron and I took advantage of the pool. I am not the world's greatest swimmer, but I managed a kilometre today, which I was proud of. Collapsing in the sauna afterwards was one of the best feelings I have had for a long time.

Just now I went for a walk down our street, Ahmatie....(Wolverine Street in English...I love that). I walked to the other end of the street barefoot. Just because I could. In a few weeks we will all be moaning about the dark evenings and the cold weather and the slush before the snow arrives. So I am determined to soak up every last drop of the summer.

For now, there is a warm breeze outside, the leaves are all glistening as the sun shines through them, birds are fluttering all over the place and the hedgehogs are getting ready for their evening stroll. There are still children playing in the park behind our house. It still sounds like summer.

In our house we are all eating (meat-free) pasta bolognese and Lucie is playing one of my favourite songs ever (Shine on Me by the Praise Cats in case you are interested). As one of my good friends wrote on my Facebook Wall a few days ago...."Life may not be the party we hoped for. But while we're here we should dance."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Life may not be the party we hoped for. But while we're here we should dance."

I like this one! And Wolverine street :)

What would hirveläntie be in english?

And I love your pictures!