Sunday, August 18, 2013

Life is Short, Live it!

Yesterday morning I posted a picture on my Facebook wall which started "Life is Short, Live it!"

I can't remember how many times I have discussed with friends how unpredictable and fragile life is. But as if I needed reminding of my own words, just two hours after I posted the picture, I found myself in a car crash which could very easily have ended both my own life and those of the people in the other car.

It was a full on impact at 60 kilometres per hour, and moments after it happened I found myself trapped in a car which was smoking and wondering whether it was going to explode.

The angels must have been protecting us though, because after a day in hospital, I am now back home with nothing more than a sore knee, a bruised arm and a bashed up face. My face hurt so much yesterday that I was convinced something was broken, but in fact I have nothing more than bruises and a split lip, and the occupants of the other car are fine too.

Both cars are a write off, but I have never been so grateful as I am this morning that I can still walk, dance, swim and do all the other things I enjoy in life. Even more than that, I thanked God (literally) that none of my children were in the car with me at the time, as things could have been very different had I not been alone.

This kind of brush with death inevitably makes you think about what matters. I now know which people came to mind at what could have been my last moment alive and also who I wanted with me when  it was all over.

I also known that I was born to write, because even though I could hardly talk after the collision, I still remembered to make sure one of the paramedics took my camera and got photos of what was going on, so that I could post this story on the blog!

Not pretty, but alive!
Most of all I have been very humbled by all the good wishes, phone calls and messages I have received and also the warmth and love of my children and my friend Samuli who stayed with me all day at the hospital. Thank you everyone. That's all I can say.

So I will end this post as I began it, because never a truer word was spoken. You literally never know what is round the corner. But what we do know is that Life is short....so live it!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your car is equipped with air bag (in steering wheel). It was protecting You against bigger injury. New cars are safety.

Kyösti

Anonymous said...

Woman, you should change the name of your blog into 'My life in details', bacause it has very little to do with Somero, but with you. First time in my life I can see and read that the victim of a car accident made sure that a paramedic took a pic of her that she could publish it later for everybody(what for? to continue creating a celebrity from yourself? You've already done it, as I read at random what you've been writing in other posts).Usually people don't share publicly intimate things from their lives unless the aim is publicity and money.And btw, who was to blame for this disaster-I can't find any info here? And the message to your 'fanclub': don't bother writing that if I don't like the blog, I don't have to read. True.I don't have to.I've made one exception on the basis of your fame in Somero's area.

Anonymous said...

Quite a rude comment the previous one, but partly true. On the other hand, you have quite a lot promoted Somero area in your blog, but maybe less personal things would be better :)

jodymerelle said...

Thank you for the two previous comments! Just to be clear, my blog is a personal collection of ideas and stories....similar to a diary. It was not set up to promote Somero. If you had this impression I can see why you were disappointed in the personal stories I post. The connection to Somero is simply that I live here and like this town very much. I write about things that interest me and events in the life of our family, much of which occurs here. I fully understand this will not interest everyone! The blog was started to give members of our English club something to read and simply because I enjoy writing. There is certainly no money involved! I am sorry you don't like reading my blog, but there are thousands out there so I am sure you will find one you enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your comment. As you've said: 'the blog was set up not to promote Somero...', so the title is very misleading; maybe 'My life in Somero'? It'd be more adequate. Perhaps I shouldn't write this, but when today I opened Someron lehti I couldn't believe my eyes. You again! The photo from your blog. Again your diary, but this time in a newspaper? And all people in Somero now know that you are so well acquainted with Somero's newspaper's staff.I browsed more pages just to forget about 'famous Jodie Merelle' and ..what? again you-this time the whole article.Lifecoaching(do you have any education in this area?),your book is in progress, you're constantly looking for the next husband(sorry, but this kind of news surely doesn't belong to Somero, but to you),we know that you were 'hylätty'(left)-it's almost disgusting reading that-a very personal detail who left whom in a marriage that should remain solely between ex-spouses...etc.And you very often talk about humility, meanwhile your name or pics are practically everywhere.Even Somero's mayor is far behind you in popularity, although he surely serves for the good of the town. You often call God's name, so you're Christian, but, I asume, who seemed to forget that Jesus made even miracles and didn't want to share it widely.So whatever good you do for Somero or other people, do it in a more subtle way-without putting yourself first-good deeds must go before you. True.There are many other blogs over the net, but there's only one Somero's newspaper.If they really have lack of topics,the only solution for me is to cancel my subscription.But surely they don't care-you're more important than some 'uknown person from the street'.

Anonymous said...

Great that You are alright.

I am a summersomerolainen (I have roots there) and I got some Somero newspapers from my friend. I was curios about your blog and terrified to read about the car accident.

I am glad you are so entusiastic about Somero. Our ancestors have not always had it so easy there, and they have not been so kind to each other either.

Can one write here in finnish too?

- käreitär -

Anonymous said...

To the anonymous poster in August 23, 2013 at 9:26 PM:

I don't know your motives in this matter, but instead of showing your outpouring for all folk to read you could have sent that personally to Jody.
By that naughty post you just revealed your own stupidity and narrow-mindedness.

I don't agree either all Jody's posts, but it is her blog and she is courageous and we should learn something about her attitude.

Anonymous said...

Aika voimallisia kannanottoja kirjoittajalta joka ei uskalla tulla esille omalla nimellään. Olisi suotavaa että jättäisit tämän blogin rauhaan. Ja myös Jodin joka on antanut niin paljon hyvää tekstiä meille englanninkielen opiskelijoille ihan ilmaiseksi luettavaksi ja myös paljon muuta positiivista energiaa. Se on auttanut paljon kielen oppimisessa. On tullut paljon uusia sanoja ja sanontoja. Ja kun tekstissä on ikäänkuin juoni niin se on innostavaa ja mielekästä.
Samalla Somero on tullut tunnetuksi kauniiden kuvien ja tekstien ansiosta ympäri maailman.
Meitä blogin lukijoita on paljon ja haluamme sen jatkuvan juuri sellaisena kuin se nyt on ollut.
Marja-Leena

jodymerelle said...

Yes Käreitär...of course you are welcome to comment in Finnish. I will try and keep to my promise of writing occasionally in Finnish too!