Friday, August 16, 2013

The Positivity Bug

I haven't forgotten what I said yesterday. I am planning to meet someone random in Somero and interview them...and I am leaving that person's identity up to destiny.

But before doing that, this morning I just wanted to post a little message about positivity. The more life experience I get, the more I become aware that having a positive attitude, regardless of what it is about, has a huge effect on others. If you can grab hold of some positivity from somewhere...you will soon find that it starts to affect other people that you meet. Like the flu virus, except in a good way.

Our garden squirrels never fail to make me smile
On one hand I have had a bit of a tough week. On the other, I have been fortunate to come into contact with several highly positive people. And the result is that they have managed to turn a difficult week into a good one.

The result of that was for me to start feeling better, and therefore have the desire to visit a good friend of mine who desperately needed cheering up. We ended up laughing through the tears, and now my bet is that she may well do the same for someone else.

In this post I would like to mention some people speciafically. Päivi Morton is a close friend I met around eight years ago in the UK. She is bubbling at the moment about a new project she is involved with, and  her enthusiasm and excitement has affected everyone who has heard about it. Her lovely posts on my Facebook wall recently have cheered up my day every time because she is clearly loving life at the moment and full of new ideas as to how to live it.

Rob Wood, Jill Anderson and Michael Davidson are three of my salsa friends. Even though we meet in person very rarely, all three of them not only exude a determination to make the most of life, but they also invest an enormous amount in passing this feeling on to others. They have a positive effect on everyone they come into contact with and I can't thank them for that enough. They have no idea how many times a message (or Jill your postcard, thank you) have been the one thing that has made me smile that day. Rob was also officially the first person to make me laugh after my ex husband left last year.

Anita Hallapelto is also someone whom I need to thank just for being her. Anita runs a fifties boutique here in Somero (Muotiputikki Helmi). Anyone who knows her, also knows that when you go into her shop, it is not just about the clothes. It is about spending time with someone who is so happy to be alive that she makes you feel like smiling, even on a day of tears. She has been an angel to me recently and her positivity truly is infectious.

Then a special mention to Joy Musembi in Kenya, whose heart is so full of love and gratitude for life that she lights up the day of everyone she comes into contact with. This girl was born with a positive heart and will still be giving encouragement to others as she draws her last breath.

And lastly the person who made me think of writing this post. Abayomi Baiyere is originally from Nigeria but now lives in Turku. We met for the first time yesterday and although I only heard a little of his story, his positive attitude and courage to pursue his dreams left me feeling inspired and positive myself. Not to mention that smile, which could light up a room.

So you see, positivity is catching. Paivi, Rob, Jill, Michael, Anita, Joy and Abayomi all have the positivity bug in a big way - and it is because of them I have also caught it this week. THANK YOU my friends, old and new.

As Rob said to me recently..... Live Simply. Dream Big. Be Grateful. Give Love. Laugh Lots.
Exactly. Thanks Rob. Will do.


No comments: