Thursday, August 15, 2013

Do you Believe in Destiny?

Do you believe in destiny?  It's an interesting question which can provoke quite strong reactions in people. Some of my own friends believe in destiny and others absolutely do not. Neither of my parents did. Personally, I like to think that there is some kind of destiny out there. Because if there is, then even on the bad days you can tell yourself that it is just one step further along the path to where you are eventually supposed to be.

Many times in my life I have found myself being in exactly the right place at the right time. I have "accidentally" met someone who has gone on to have a huge impact on my life, or bumped into a stranger who has got me thinking about a totally new project. Is that destiny or is it just luck?

Last Sunday I was feeling a little alone. I decided to go on a long walk (from Esakallio to Hovimäki) with my good friend Ella. The walk was a nice one through the forest, but very badly signposted in some places. At one point there were three paths in front of us and we had no idea whicn one we should take. There was a house close by so we decided to knock on the door to see if the people living there could tell us which way to go. As soon as I walked into the garden I realised that I actually knew where I was. It was the house of my good friends Marja-Leena and Kari (one of those few couples who convince me that lifelong love IS possible). They invited us in for a drink and then we spent a lovely half an hour laughing while Ella's dog went chasing sticks and swimming in the lake. All of a sudden the day was transofrmed into one where I was surrounded by friends and didn't feel alone anymore. On a route that was 8.5 kilometres long, was that luck? Or was that destiny...leading me to somewhere I was guarnateed to feel better? I like to think it was the former.

So- over the next 24 hours I thought I would invite destiny to decide on the next post. I will see who she brings to me. I am going to sit at one of the cafes in Somero and approach a complete stranger to interview for the blog.

I have no idea who it will be, or what his or her story will be, but I am in the mood for doing something a little unpredictable and seeing what destiny brings to my door.

So watch this space.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Destiny, yes and no.
Yes, because I am here, it was destiny of a sperm cell that I am here, may be the fastest one but at least vanguard :-)
No, often i have had to decide how to continue or where to continue.
Yes, we always think that our decision are reasonable, but in fact we cann´t know what are results.
Eg. may one really know personality of one´s spouce, or character of one´s new workmate if You are seeking new job?
Do You really know what kind challenges new job is bringing to yor life?
Life is mixed destiny and common sense as well as intuition. I cann´t say propotion, who can?

Kyösti

Anonymous said...

Kyösti: "Life is mixed destiny and common sense as well as intuition."

I agree :)

There are still a lot of choices to make.

- käreitär -