Thursday, June 20, 2013

Midsummer Hug from Somero

Evening everyone. Here in Finland people are looking forward to Midsummer's eve tomorrow, which is one of the biggest celebrations of the year. In a country which has to endure long and dark winters, the long sunny days (and nights) of the summer are something to be celebrated.

Most people will be spending time with friends and family tomorrow, swimming in lakes, going to the sauna, barbequeing and watching bonfires all over the country.

Just as all Finns remember to appreciate the long summer days, I try to remind myself frequently not to forget all the other important things in life, but to be grateful for all the good things we have.

For me, true and enduring friendship has to be near the top of my list, and today was one of those when I truly needed mine.

Somehow the angels picked up on this, because this afternoon I had four surprise visitors in a row. I had not been expecting anyone, but all of a sudden I had one visitor after another, at exactly the right time. In addition when I checked in on Facebook there were several messages waiting for me

If you have been through a divorce you will know how it can make you feel. Like you've become invisible, that you never mattered anyway and that no-one will ever notice you again. That may sound dramatic to those who haven't been there, but those who have will know that what I am saying is the truth.

So as I go to bed this evening, I am saying thank you for the light of summer but also thank you to my friends for being who they are.

Do one thing this Midsummer. Get in touch with someone you care about who might not be expecting it. Take the hug I am sending via this post and deliver it to them personally. It might well be the best Midsummer surprise they could wish for.

No comments: