Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Love at Nummijärvi Lake

Nummijärvi lake is one of the most beautiful places in Somero, especially when the sun is shining.

This evening I took Niko, Luca and Minttu to the beach there. It is one of those calm and magical places, far removed from high buildings and traffic and noise, which makes you think about all the things that really matter in life.

As I watched the children splashing around in the water I thought about the things that matter to us. Having had to say goodbye to my Dad just a few weeks ago, this evening I was reminded that there aren't really many things on that list, not when you think about it.


I guess for me the list would include family, friendship, love, memories of togetherness, having a purpose in life and belonging somewhere.

None of those are things any of us can take for granted, as I know only too well. The trick has to be to remember to be thankful for those things we do have, and not to give up hoping for the things we do not.

I'll be honest. I often feel as though finding genuine love, the kind that fights for survival instead of walking away and accepts you for the person you are, is probably the toughest of all. Mostly because having it depends on the feelings of someone else - something which will always be beyond our control.

I haven't managed to find that kind of love yet. But however unlikely it may seem, I refuse to give up hope that it exists, even for me. If and when I find it, we will go to the beach on Nummijärvi lake and hold hands and look at the water. And I will know that I was right not to give up hope.
 

1 comment:

Manu said...

I am sure Jody that you will find that kind of love, one day. Then even Minttu needs not look so sad as she does in the last of your pics in this blog. Have a nice Midsummer (Hyvää Juhannusta), take care :)