Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Frank

As I write this it's half past ten in the evening here in Somero. After a very warm sunny day and then a thunder storm this afternoon, it is still light outside and the sky is a gentle pinky blue. There is a light breeze but it's warm enough to be outside in just a t-shirt.

The little ones are all in bed asleep, the washing is done and the kitchen is just about tidy, so a few minutes ago I decided to go and sit on the swing outside and write a letter to a friend of mine.

As I sat there I thought about my Dad. It's nearly three months now since he died, but I still talk to him every day. I told him I was feeling a bit alone this evening, but he didn't say anything back.  Only a few seconds passed until I heard a rustle in the bushes next to where I was sitting.

My Dad had sent me a little friend to keep me company in the garden.  I watched him for a while. He sniffed around a bit, then casually crossed the lawn and sat for a while next to the wood we burn in the fire. Long enough for me to get this shot of him.

It's not a great shot, but hopefully one day he will come back again and I'll manage a better photo. At least you can see him in this one though. I've called him Frank (after my Dad). He brightened up my day in an instant.

If you are out there somewhere having a lonely moment, I hope that your own hedgehog arrives to keep you company very soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post! I know I say this a lot to you but I especially loved this one because of the way your dad assured you that, "I'm here, I've got you, it's going to be ok." Thank you for encouraging those of us who also have dearly departed dads or feel alone from time to time. xXx

Anonymous said...

He will come back, hedgehog always comes, if You do not disturb it too much.
Kyösti